Need replacement GPU for older system

Gatatog

Commendable
Jun 11, 2016
Hi,

I just signed up to the forum because I really need some advice regarding what GPU is best for my, admittedly dated, system. You see, I built my PC about 4 years ago and until earlier this year I had a 560ti in it, however that card died and since then I've been running with my ancient 9600gt as a replacement.

Since I stopped using my PC for heavy gaming a couple of years ago, my 560ti dying wasn't a huge issue at the time, but a couple of weeks ago I started playing some of my old games again and I'm finding that the 9600gt is struggling.

If I was planning on upgrading my whole system, I wouldn't be so confused but as it is, I simply want to find a card that complements my older components and also doesn't cost a huge amount.

The rest of my system is as follows:

Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 motherboard
Intel Core i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64-bit

I appreciate any help and advice that anyone can offer. Thanks.

StormBrew

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2014

Ok, first of all, it isn't faster, and is more expensive. In fact the majority of benchmarks show the 370 outperforming the 950. As for the RX480, I would hold out if you can, however, if waiting is not an option, then the R7 370 is a great choice.

It's still a decent gaming rig, don't sweat it, if you want a little boost, look into overclocking the CPU, you have both a 'Z' series motherboard and a 'K' series CPU, add a half decent sub $50 cooler and a few hours homework and you could net a nice performance boost.

There's not too much difference overall between the R7 370 and GTX950, but the 950 'wins' most of the time: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_950_Gaming/ either is good for older games, and bear in mind, those benchmarks were at max settings, just turning down the game preset one notch will give a significant boost to the framerate with little loss of eye candy.

Holding out is an option but it'll be a month or more before we see any large scale availability for the RX 480, and even at its <>$200 price point it'll still be nearly twice the price of either the R7 370 or GTX950 cards currently available.

Suggestion: Don't wait and pick whichever card has the best deal available when you go shopping.

Gatatog

Commendable
Jun 11, 2016
Awesome, thanks for the advice everyone. I'll have a look around at those two cards (R7 370 and GTX 950). Really appreciate the help :)

Epicness937

Honorable
BANNED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtPbJCJSBw4\
the first of my three sources say the 950 is faster