What RAM - Dell Inspiron 15 7559 Laptop

SvenUSA

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Hello,

I've purchased a Dell Inspiron 15 7559 Laptop. It's still being processed and is yet to ship, but I'd like to get everything ready for when it comes in. Since I'll be doing some video editing on there I'd like to make sure it has 16GB RAM instead of the 8GB that it comes with. Now, my question is; What RAM do I need to put in it? Can I buy a random 8GB stick to pair it with or does it need to be the exact same one?

These are the specs:

Intel i7-6700HQ Quad-core (2.6GHz) CPU
8GB (1x 8GB) 1600MHz DDR3L Memory
1TB Hybrid Drive (w/ SSD Cache)
15.6" 1920x1080 LED Display
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M w/ 4GB GDDR5
Wi-Fi 802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.0
Ports:
3x USB 3.0
1x HDMI v1.4a w/ 4K support
6-Cell 74 WHr Battery
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

To get two individual 8 GB memory modules (not from a dual channel kit) to work together will possibly require trial and error using modules (with the same part number) until a compatible combination is found. Using same part number modules will improve chances of finding a compatible combination.

A faster and possibly cheaper way is to get a dual channel kit (2 x 8 GB) where the two modules are guaranteed to be compatible with each other.

SvenUSA

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Thanks for the response.

Does anyone know what type of RAM this comes with (so I can check for a second 8GB module) or does anyone have any experience with other 8GB RAM modules that work together with the one it comes with?

tshrjain

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
Hi, Any Laptop RAM (SoDIMM) should work alongside your existing RAM provided it is:
Type: DDR3
Capacity: 8Gb
Frequency: 1600MHz
Voltage: 1.35V (Also denoted by DDR3L, L being low profile/low voltage. Normal DDR3 are usually 1.5V)

As for a specific RAM, this one from Crucial will work: https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-12800-204-Pin-Notebook-CT102464BF160B/dp/B006YG8X9Y

One other consideration for RAMs are the timings, as in the timings of both the RAMs should match. Fortunately, most Laptop RAMs can adjust their timings automatically. This Crucial RAM is CL11 but will adjust with other timings as well.

^ Not quite. Every module has unique characteristics, no two modules will be exactly alike. In order for two or more modules to work together (be compatible) their respective characteristics (apart from voltage, frequency, timings) have to be identical.

To match two (or more) individual memory modules requires testing/trying them out until a compatible combination is found.

Matched memory, from dual channel kits, have already been tested by memory manufacturers in order to ensure module compatibility.

The Crucial memory might or might not work together with the existing memory. It depends on memory characteristics, as mentioned previously.

Assuming both modules are compatible with each other, both modules will (or should) run at the lowest common frequency, in this case 1600 MHz.

Only way to be sure is to try both memory modules together. But there is no guarantee of both memory module being compatible with each other. It may take several attempts using different modules (with the same part number) to find a compatible memory combination.

TRENDING THREADS