Acer X223W LCD Monitor - Display doesn't work, power button LED turns on for 1 second and never again

thegrimmster

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
I've searched the web as well as this forum and can't find my exact issue anywhere. I hope I'm not duplicating this question though.

My X223W monitor is pushing 6 years old. It was working perfectly 4 weeks ago before a 1 week trip. When I returned, I pressed the power button to turn it on. The power buttom LED simply turned on (blue) and then turned off after 1 second. I get NOTHING on the display itself, not even a flicker nor the Acer logo. Pressing the power button again got nothing - not even the 1-second power button light. I unplugged the monitor, plugged it into a wall outlet (it was plugged into a power strip the whole week I was gone), tried the power button again, but got NOTHING. Not even the 1 second power button LED. Here is what I have tried to fix this:

1. Tried 3 different power cables that are confirmed working - nothing.

2. Tried 2 different outlets that are also confirmed working - nothing.

3. Tried unplugging the monitor, holding the power button for 10 seconds (to do a reset) - nothing. Although, this did accomplish restarting the "cycle" in which I am able to get the power button LED to do its 1 second turn on/off again. Still nothing on the display, though.

4. Took apart the monitor to look at the power supply board capacitors. None of them were blown, bulging, or looking strange at all, but I ordered a kit online to replace them anyway. When done, I triple checked my solder points, cap orientation, uF size of each cap, and re-connection of all cables - all good. But, the symptom is exactly the same. Same 1 second power button LED turning on/off with nothing on the display.

Because of the age of the monitor, I think I'll likely just buy a new Acer. But, I'd love to fix this one eventually so that I could maybe end up with two displays. Is there another component I should be looking at that might cause this? Should I replace the entire power board? Is in an inverter? The logic board perhaps? Any advice would be welcome.

Solution
most likely the floresant tube failed. so it self powers down (a safety feature almost all tv/monitors have as they try to using a lot of voltage/current to start a tube)