Displayport cause blinking blackscreen

Duck34

Commendable
May 13, 2016
Hi,

I've just bought my new screen : iiyama G-Master GB2488HSU Red Eagle 2. It's linked in display port to my comp :

- Sapphire R9 390x Nitro OC edition (Stock)
- Amd Fx8320 (Stock with a Noctua NH-U14S on it)
- Kingstone Fury 16go DDR3 at 1866mhz
- Asus M5A99FX
- Cooler Master 750w 80+
- Corsair Graphit 780T with goods air flow

The problem : if the freesync is enabled, I've sudden blackscreen for few seconds in games. Sometimes the blackscreen last for 2 seconds, sometimes for 30. When the problem occur, my screen become total black but I hear the sound of the game. Everything else is ok except the display. Then it's coming back to normal and I can play again. Or I can respawn, because I die most of the time I've blackscreens.

The link with freesync : If I turn off freesync, the problem is gone : I can play hours without having any blackscreen.

An other symptom : The freesync is supposed to synchronize the GPU and the screen to a same refresh rate right ? When I'm playing CS:GO, fps reach 200+ (with lot of tearing). This screen is supposed to be 145hz without freesync and 120 with freesync and it clearly can't reach 200. So maybe freesync is not activated properly?

Things working correctly However, I actived freesync on the screen itself, and then I actived it in the "Radeon Settings" software. Both "Radeon Settings" and "Amd Catalyst" says that Freesync is enabled. I tried to update the GPU drivers but it didn't solve anything :(
The computer used to work fine with 60hz monitor wired in hdmi. The temperature are cold for GPU (between 32° and 65°) and for CPU (between 15° and 42°).

Can the screen be defective and can't handle freesync? Maybe freesync is not really turned on? Perhaps my graphic card is defective for displayport or freesync?

Thanks for your help

Solution
DisplayPort cable follows a bitrate standard, there are no 1.1,1.2 and so on versions. What you're after or make sure of is that the cable is HBR2 (High Bit Rate v2) and is Vesa certified.

http://www.displayport.org/cables/how-to-choose-a-displayport-cable-and-not-get-a-bad-one/

http://www.displayport.org/products-database/ tick cables box and click search. Will list of known Vesa certified cables and associated companies whom make them.

Duck34

Commendable
May 13, 2016
First, I thought it was freesync enabling that cause the problem. But after disabling it I still got the problem.

In fact, the problem occur only in Displayport. DVI and HDMI work fine. I get those blackscreen when I play game, or even on desktop if I fix windows refresh rate to 120 or 144.

I bought this screen for use freesync and max refresh rate but I can't :(

Anyone know similar issue?

Duck34

Commendable
May 13, 2016
The blinking stop in DVI or HDMI. I'll try the DisplayPort with 60hz but how? If I disable freesync the screen automatically go to 144hz.
Very noob question also, but is 1080p = 1920*1080 ? I can't find any "1080p" resolution people are talking about.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Will be under display properties of Windows and you can change the Hz setting there too - Can also change these settings in your Graphic's card control panel - Either way, both do the same thing. Look on youtube how to configure resoltion and hz for which Windows version you have.

Duck34

Commendable
May 13, 2016
Ok this is the windows settings I've discover yesterday. The second I've put the refresh rate from 60 to 144hz, I've instantly get blinking black screen on the desktop (it used to be only in game before that). Lowering the refresh rate to 120 did'nt resolve the problem. And Lowering it again to 60hz did'nt totally stop blackscreen on desktop.

I'll try a new cable. Should I go for a DP 1.1 or 1.2 or 1.3 for using freesync with that screen ?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
DisplayPort cable follows a bitrate standard, there are no 1.1,1.2 and so on versions. What you're after or make sure of is that the cable is HBR2 (High Bit Rate v2) and is Vesa certified.

http://www.displayport.org/cables/how-to-choose-a-displayport-cable-and-not-get-a-bad-one/

http://www.displayport.org/products-database/ tick cables box and click search. Will list of known Vesa certified cables and associated companies whom make them.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I had trouble with a 2 meter Displayport cable i bought separately. It was HBR2 certified for 1440p @ 144Hz but had blinks at this bandwidth rate yet none @ 60Hz. Even 1080p @ 144Hz had blinking so 144Hz bandwidth demand is quite extreme that i think 2meters (Depending on cable quality) is reaching the limits. So if you want to make sure your cable will be fine concerning length, try not go over 1.8 meters if you can. The 1 meter length cable my monitor came with works fine in 1440p @ 144Hz.