Win 10 Home hangs when reaching desktop for about 4 mins, then fully functional.

NZTinker

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
Hi all,
Been tussling with this for weeks now. Its more of an annoyance as it doesn't seem to affect things after full functionality is released. Up to 4 to 5 mins during loading of the startup programs and already on the desktop. As soon as I click the Start menu or anything else the blue 'working' icon appears and the system hangs. Once it releases every click I may have made is excecuted.

What I am looking for is what drives the final OS loading of in particular sys driver files.
I ask this as I have sorted almost all 'minor' errors such as a clean registry, full windows update, all drivers up to date, video drivers (Nvidea) latest with recent update not making any difference. Full SFC scan and fixed (manually) some dll file errors using SFC. Full system health check and memory check all OK.

The only thing left for which I can't find the answer is that dxgkrnl.sys shows up in the bootlog as loading 6 times. 1st attempt loads and as expected the other attempts fail to load. And I suspect this may have something to do with why things hang once I reach the desktop. This only happens on a cold boot and so far not on a re-start.

Is there a file or something like a registry hive that can be checked and edited which drives the loading of the driver files as found in the bootlog?
My quess is that if there is maybe the unwanted instances to reload dxgkrnl.sys can be removed.

Incidently the same dxgkrnl.sys exists in varies locations in the file structure under C:\Windows and has differing file sizes and dates. I am hesitant to delete any in case it turns my system to custard, and which one to delete?

Finally I do not think it is a bios or hard ware issue as I triple boot my system to Windows 7 and Zorin (Linux) and Windows 10 and the issue is only present in Win 10.

I have posted this question on Microsoft Forum sites and yes it only attrected the usual MS Techie responses including reset, re-install etc etc. Real helpfull stuff ....NOT
I am trying to find a fix to a problem not paint over it which always seems to be the MS solution to any and all problems.

Any help and or suggestions appreciated.

Cheers
NZTinker

Hi,

I would suggest starting with disabling all the startup items from your PC.
- Open Task Manager then click on Startup tab.
- Disable all the startup items then reboot your PC.
- If the same problem will persist do disable the Fast Boot option.
- Here's how: http://acer-in.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37059/~/windows-10%3A-enable-or-disable-fast-startup
- If all these will not work proceed with doing a virus/malware scan.
- http://www.tomsguide.com/faq/id-1691891/removing-malware-proven-completely-remove-bitcoin-mining-malware.html
- And lastly, if all these will not work last option would be to reinstall Windows 10.

Hopefully this will help. :)

NZTinker

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
Hi Guys,

Thanks for taking the time to answer, but all of what you suggest has been done. See rather long start of this thread.

I restate my main info request:
Is there a file or something like a registry hive that can be checked and edited which drives the loading of the driver files as found in the bootlog?
My quess is that if there is maybe the unwanted instances to reload dxgkrnl.sys can be removed.

Incidently the same dxgkrnl.sys exists in varies locations in the file structure under C:\Windows and has differing file sizes and dates. I am hesitant to delete any in case it turns my system to custard, and which one to delete?

Cheers