I have a question relating to OS transfers.

Vuragado

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
How would one go about transferring an OS to a SSD? Win10 Specifically. I plan on buying one in the near future, cheers!

Solution
Hi Vuragado
Have a look at Advanced SystemCare from IOBit. In the toolbox within this system app there is a utility called PCtransfer, for transfering data between drives.
Another option maybe is to download Macrium Free edition., do a full image backup of your HDD and replace it with the SSD and then restore the image to the new ssd. A bit of care and dicking around for this option as you need a working OS with Macrium to complete the task of course. Shooting from the hip with this one.
Good luck
NZTinker

NZTinker

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
Hi Vuragado
Have a look at Advanced SystemCare from IOBit. In the toolbox within this system app there is a utility called PCtransfer, for transfering data between drives.
Another option maybe is to download Macrium Free edition., do a full image backup of your HDD and replace it with the SSD and then restore the image to the new ssd. A bit of care and dicking around for this option as you need a working OS with Macrium to complete the task of course. Shooting from the hip with this one.
Good luck
NZTinker

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

This is installing a new OS?
If so, ignore the above reply. That is for cloning an existing OS to a new drive.

What size is this SSD?

Basically:
Have only that drive connected
Boot from your install media, either DVD or USB
Follow the instructions

NZTinker

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
Man I find this irritating. What part of 'transferring an OS' can possibly be interpreted as 'installing a new OS' ?
If this is advice from a genuine moderator I am out of here.
otu Vuragado.

USAFRet

Titan

Sorry. I thought you meant buying Win 10, not the SSD.
Then yes, the reply from NZTinker is correct.

And you'd be surprised at what people call 'installing' an OS.
I copied it
I downloaded it to my SSD
etc, etc.

USAFRet

Titan

I prefer Macrium Reflect for this, but I assume the above application would work.
You don't have to make an image first. It will do a direct drive to drive clone.

In this order:
Install the application
Connect the new SSD
Power up and run the application
When it is done, power off
Disconnect the old drive
Connect the new drive in the same SATA port as the old one
Power up and check the boot order. Modify as needed to make the SSD first
Continue, and make sure it boots correctly.
Maybe reboot once or twice, just to verify
Then you can reconnect the old drive.
Wipe it, and use as desired.

Vuragado

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
Ill probably check out macrium reflect. One last thing however, will I have to do anything related to bios? Legacy mode, etc? My mobo is a 970 MSI. If not, cheers and have a good day.