GTX 1070 or GTX 1080 for 1080p 60hz. EVERYTHING maxed 60FPS+.

junliu9

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
So I was wondering which card would be better under my preferences.

I want to be able to have almost if not all "bells and whistles" turned on while maintaining 60FPS+ at all times on a 1080p 60hz monitor, specifically in these games:

Rise of The Tomb Raider
Witcher 3
The Division
Arkham Knight
Black Desert
Assassin's Creed Unity/Syndicate (and their upcoming AC, whenever that is)
Ghost Recon: Wildlands

and a few more, but I think you guys get the picture.

My current setup is:
Asus z97-A LGA 1150
Intel i7-4790K
EVGA GTX 770 SC W/ACX
16GB Ram
650W PSU

so my question is, which card would be a more "satisfying" upgrade that will in theory, also last me hopefully the generation after Volta.

TL;DR: I like seeing godly FPS with literally everything (and I mean everything, or close to. Talk about overkill right?) maxed out, which card should I go for that would yield the best results (in terms of a massive upgrade and investment) for what I am looking for based on my "criteria" for years to come.

Thanks.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

the 1070 easily can do what you want

index.php

index.php

index.php

ARKHAM KNIGHT

08454590-photo-geforce-gtx-1070-batman-arkham-knight.jpg

junliu9

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014

How long do you think the 1070 will last with my monitor until I have to dial it down to Med > tweaked high? Because that's what I'm most worried about now, as I don't plan on upgrading until after Volta.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

get a good custom cooled 1070 from msi, asus, evga etc etc

overclocked it will last you a long time at 1080p

XD

junliu9

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
Wow, those are insane performances, especially the one of it running DOOM at 4k with 40+ FPS.

I think I just might got for the 1070.

I'm leaning towards a EVGA, which card would be the most "overclock friendly" as I am not familiar with how to overclock.

There will always be a game that has a setting that requires you to turn down, but it'll be a several years before you'd have to turn anything below high. A 1070 would be a good card, and get you nearly maxed out in almost all games. I say nearly, because a few games will be demanding and include things like SSAA, or MSAA x16 and stuff, or you might get some super duper experimental hair, DOF or something that pushes all single cards past their limit. You need to be willing to drop those settings.

G

Hi all! I was planning to buy a gtx1070 and i what the same performance in the same games as ''junliu9'' write above...But my first thought before the 1070 release,is to buy a gtx 980ti.Which card i should take? I playing on 1080p only,but i want to turn ALL the setting on ultra! Also which of those cards ara more future proof? Thanks!

G

Yeah,i know that.But which is more future profing at the moment?

Neurodrive

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
Sometimes I wonder if people ever try and do any reading or light research before asking a question that has been asked 1,000 times before lol.

+EllasArmy3 Definitely buy the GTX 1070 over the 980 Ti. Reasons: 2 GB more VRAM, slightly faster, driver support will be longer being that it's the latest generation, lower power consumption, and lower price. My advice: Wait for price to drop to $350 - $400 range if you can wait. Personally I like EVGA products because of their superior support, but that's a personal decision.

+Neurodrive No they don't. I call it Jetsons syndrome and I myself am guilty of it. Not the end of the world though.

G

Thanks my friend! One last question.Have all the brands (ASUS,MSI,GIGABYTE,EVGA) the same performance? Because i saw some benchmarks that MSI had 10-15 fps more than ASUS.

Warmacblu

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
I'm in the same boat as you; looking to upgrade my MSI GTX 580 Lightning Xtreme. I was considering the GTX 1080 but I know I would have buyers remorse when the Ti released so I figure I would take a step down to the GTX 1070 and upgrade to a GTX 1170 in the future (more frequent less expensive upgrades as opposed to less frequent more expensive upgrades). I have had no issues with my MSI card so I will probably stick with them or go with eVGA. Based on a few reviews I have read, it looks like the MSI card is a few degrees cooler and a few dB quieter but someone mentioned in a different thread that MSI does not cool all of their components so that is something I will look into.

decat297

Reputable
Oct 9, 2017
The Gtx 1080 is the only card other than the mysterious Vega 56, that can max Witcher 3 1080p ultra with hairworks.