Problem with signing in after upgrading to Windows 10

Rannison

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
I have a strange problem with my work computer after upgrading to Windows 10. Unfortunately, I can't reformat and do a clean install due to various issues, mainly because it's a work computer and not my personal setup.

The problem I'm experiencing is that whenever my computer gets shut down or restarted, if I try to log-in while the ethernet is connected, it will hang on the loading screen. I've had to unplug the ethernet, log-in, then reconnect after the desktop pops up. This has been going on for a long time now and honestly not too big an inconvenience, I'm just baffled about why this is going on.

I was running Windows 7 prior to the upgrade; here are my system specs:

CPU: i3 2120 (Sandy Bridge)
RAM: 32GB Dual-Channel 32nm
Mobo: Intel DH67BL
GPU: GeForce 9800 GTX+ (PNY)
Storage: Crucial_CT256M550SSD1 (SSD); Seagate ST31500341AS (SATA); Western Digital WDC WD7500AAKS-22RBA0 (SATA)

I've updated all my drivers (that are relevant), and I've asked our IT to look at the network setup but they can't figure out what's causing this either.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, thank you!

Solution
So something is causing it to hang in a normal boot. You can attempt to run msconfig and address items in your startup & services tabs... might want to involve your IT guy here. It is likely one item causing this but it may take some trial and error to figure it out. It may not even involve your network driver but that is a good place to start nonetheless.
Disable anything from your startup that is not required and if that works then go back in and start enabling items one at a time to see if any of them cause the hang.

Rannison

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010

Thank you for your response! Yes, I tried it today and booting into Safe Mode with Networking does indeed work.

Also, I wanted to further clarify my OP; Windows doesn't freeze after I type my password and hit enter. It moves on to the next screen with the user information displayed, and just below that there is a "Welcome" message with the loading icon (dots rotating in a circular pattern) to the left of it. The loading icon remains active, but the system just never loads past this screen. I've tried leaving it to load overnight and the next day when I come in it is still trying to load.

FYI: With Safe Mode w/ Networking, it loaded fairly quickly (within a few seconds).

So something is causing it to hang in a normal boot. You can attempt to run msconfig and address items in your startup & services tabs... might want to involve your IT guy here. It is likely one item causing this but it may take some trial and error to figure it out. It may not even involve your network driver but that is a good place to start nonetheless.
Disable anything from your startup that is not required and if that works then go back in and start enabling items one at a time to see if any of them cause the hang.

Solution