Windows 10 Realtek 5.1 surround sound volume issues

TheAlexandre

Commendable
Jun 14, 2016
So I recently got an ssd and decided to put a fresh version of Windows 10 on it. Everything was fine until I installed the Realtek Audio drivers for my Asus P9X79 Deluxe motherboard. I can get surround sound perfectly fine but the volume control is completely messed up. The windows volume slider will control all but two speakers, which are maxed out all the time and the Realtek program will change the volume just fine most of the time. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest drivers made for Windows 10 several times. I did try the older drivers made for Windows 7 and the volume worked fine on that but it makes this terrible popping sound when any bit of sound first comes out. I made a video to show the problem im having. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNAOki9ZCdI&feature=youtu.be
Im guessing its a driver issue considering these drivers worked fine on Windows 7 but not 10 and the old drivers worked fine on Windows 10. But I havent found anyone else with this issue and cant figure out how to fix it. Im also using the optical output, if that makes a difference.

Update 6/18: Tried installing the drivers under Windows 7 and Windows 8 compatibility mode with no luck. I attempted to contact Realtek but they never got back to me. I also talked with Windows support and they checked my computer and figured that Windows isnt the issue and offered to try to fix the problem but only if I paid.

Solution
which version of the drivers do you have? latest should be 6.0.1.7746 or higher

have you updated bios recently?

try running the playing audio]/i] and hardware & devices troubleshooters
they can be found here:
search cortana for troubleshooters
select the control panel choice
in pop up, select view all from menu on left
the two I mentioned are in here

may need to restart during a test, do so and then rerun test till it stops finding changes.

Colif

Win 11 Master
which version of the drivers do you have? latest should be 6.0.1.7746 or higher

have you updated bios recently?

try running the playing audio]/i] and hardware & devices troubleshooters
they can be found here:
search cortana for troubleshooters
select the control panel choice
in pop up, select view all from menu on left
the two I mentioned are in here

may need to restart during a test, do so and then rerun test till it stops finding changes.

Solution

TheAlexandre

Commendable
Jun 14, 2016

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I was getting the drivers off the Asus website for my motherboard and off the Realtek website and both were giving me the 6.0.1.7525 drivers which were out of date. Google searched for the latest that you mentioned and installed them.

My bios was update to the latest version a little while ago before my fresh Windows install

I tried running the troubleshooters but the "hardware & devices" one keeps telling me to restart due to driver installs which I have done a few times and it keeps saying the same thing. The "playing audio" one keeps telling me that nothing is plugged in even though my optical is and im getting sound from the Dolby and DTS tests perfectly fine. I was getting the same results before and after installing the drivers you mentioned.

Even with the new drivers and multiple restarts, im still having the same issue except now the volume will randomly go to 100 and I tried lowering it as im typing this and it made the normal Windows sound once but now im not getting any sound. I tried to open iTunes to make sure it wasn't just Windows and it showed a song was playing then crashed when I tried to change the volume.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Apparently it's a driver (Realtek supposedly) problem with Windows 10 that causes this issue, that is, playing a video anywhere (youtube, local file, etc.), pausing, waiting a few seconds, and playing again would result in a volume change without any real change in the speaker volume meter.

The following fixed it for me:

Click start and type sound and hit enter (to open the Sound window). Or you can alternatively right-click on the sound icon in the tray area and select Sounds.
Select the Playback tab and then right-click on the Speakers and select Properties.
Go to Enhancements tab (if you have it) and uncheck Disable all sound effects (or any similar thing you might have in there).
For me it immediately fixed the problem, so give it a go and see what happens.

http://superuser.com/questions/948602/windows-10-volume-jumps-to-100-on-random

TheAlexandre

Commendable
Jun 14, 2016

I tried that with the older drivers and it didnt help but now everything is working fine, if i have an issue again then ill try getting rid of any sound effects and hopefully it will work. Thanks for the help!