Mouse lagging with multiple monitors & USB 3.0 upstream

itgogitrev

Commendable
Jun 14, 2016
Quick preface: I've searched through multiple boards and threads for applicable fixes. Unfortunately, the problem still exists...

Hi guys,

I am experiencing a moderate amount of mouse lagging on my Win 10 machine. Instead of typing a short story of what's going on, here's the cliff's note version.

My current setup:

- HP X360 Spectre, IRIS 540, 16Gb RAM, 6560 processor
- (2) Dell U2414H displays connected by MiniDP, MST enabled, running a 3 display setup (including the HP).
- One of the Dells is connected to the HP with a USB 3.0 upstream to enable the monitor's 4 USB downstream ports.
- Keyboard: Gigabyte K7, connected to monitor with USB upstream
- Mouse: Gigabyte M7, connected to monitor with USB upstream
- Displays are run in 'Expand' mode

When I'm experiencing mouse lag:

- All of the time. Doesn't matter if it's been days since a restart or if it's a full reboot, i get some sort of mouse lag.

- Quick side note! The touchpad on the HP does not lag, even when crossing over onto the other displays. Also, my stylus doesn't lag on the HP either.

Suggestions I've tried from similar threads on various forum boards

- Disable Synaptics driver (driver for the touchpad)
- Delete Synaptics driver completely
- Install Gigabyte M7 driver
- Disable audio drivers
- Change Windows mouse scheme
- Enable/disable mouse cursor shadow

Miscellaneous notes and observations

- The 3 monitor setup does not seem to be taxing the machine, even when streaming FHD or UHD video
- The lagging is not just happening when jumping from display to display; this happens all within one display.
- CPU rarely goes over 20% (unless I'm working in larger CAD, MAX, or CC files)
- Memory rarely goes over 50% with all of the previously listed applications running.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone else have any suggestions on what I could try next?

Solution
Performance is only as fast as the slowest component in the link. That includes software and drivers.

Poor design, non-standard application, some coding bug/error, some older code left in place but not really doing anything..... Applies to firmware as well.

As for wireless mice - you may wish reconsider if at all possible. Wireless products have improved and not having mouse (and/or keyboard) wires about is quite a convenience. Many name brand models and choices can be found. Worst thing I have discovered is that all sorts of strange things tend to happen when the batteries go low. Have learned to recognize that and try a battery swap first thing. And with known brand battery products.

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure if I am visualizing the connections correctly but need to ask about the use of the monitor's USB ports....

What happens if the mouse and keyboard are connected directly to the HP's ports instead of the monitor ports.

What is the reason for the physical connection plan you are using? Is there suposedly some performance gain by connecting to monitor USB ports?

Just seems to me that the extra added "steps" require some extra processing and thus processing time which would result in lag.

itgogitrev

Commendable
Jun 14, 2016
Hi Ralston18, thank you taking the time to chime in! Here's the answers to your questions.

- Not sure if I am visualizing the connections correctly but need to ask about the use of the monitor's USB ports....
I have a USB 3.0 upstream cable running to a Dell U2414H monitor. The upstream cable allows the downstream ports in the monitor to be used as powered USB ports. The mouse and keyboard are then connected to the monitor's downstream ports.

- What happens if the mouse and keyboard are connected directly to the HP's ports instead of the monitor ports.
The keyboard works perfectly regardless of whether it's plugged into the monitor or the HP. The mouse will lag when connected to the monitor, but works perfectly when connected to the HP.

- What is the reason for the physical connection plan you are using? Is there suposedly some performance gain by connecting to monitor USB ports?
It's purely to have less ports being used on the HP. When the HP is plugged into the monitor array, I fold the HP back into 'tablet mode' so i can use it to draw, note, edits images, and build freeform shapes in 3DS Max. Unfortunately, the USB ports for the mouse and keyboard are right where my hand rests. I'm trying to avoid using them to prevent damage to the ports over time.

Technically, a wireless mouse would work... but I HATE wireless mouses.

Just seems to me that the extra added "steps" require some extra processing and thus processing time which would result in lag.
I could understand that for a low-spec machine, but I would think that a laptop with 16Gb of RAM and 6560 processor would be more than capable of tracking a mouse. That's why I was so certain it was a driver issue or s driver conflict at first.

Ralston18

Titan
Performance is only as fast as the slowest component in the link. That includes software and drivers.

Poor design, non-standard application, some coding bug/error, some older code left in place but not really doing anything..... Applies to firmware as well.

As for wireless mice - you may wish reconsider if at all possible. Wireless products have improved and not having mouse (and/or keyboard) wires about is quite a convenience. Many name brand models and choices can be found. Worst thing I have discovered is that all sorts of strange things tend to happen when the batteries go low. Have learned to recognize that and try a battery swap first thing. And with known brand battery products.

Solution