Requesting a "TV" forum section, and possible remake of current "Display" section

Hello,

I have a suggestion that may improve the forum. It's important to have more eyes on the matter, for more input, so here goes.

I'm starting to get annoyed that most of the threads about TV's end up in the "Home Theatre" section. I think it would be better to simply create a new dedicated "TV" section, because right now, everything is too spread out!

If this can't happen, then I suggest that a rework of the "Forum" system should take place, because there are simply far too many sections, compared to the amount of new threads and new posts.

I completely understand that a lot of threads don't receive any replies, but I have a feeling that people are just ignoring those threads, probably due to lack of information, or it's an issue that can be 'Google' and answered in about 10 seconds.

I also understand that most of the threads can be answered easily, so it may seem silly actually. However, I believe less forum sections is going to lead to more growth.

What do you guys think?

All the best!

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Ah, if only you knew the giant mess you were stepping into :p

One would think that the creation of new forum sections would be simple, but it's quite the opposite. One of the unfortunate pitfalls of proprietary software. The plan for that particular section is actually to eventually rename it to "Streaming Video & TVs", to mirror what it is on Tom's Guide right now. That particular section is in actuality the domain of Tom's Guide; after all, Tom's Hardware doesn't actually do much in terms of TV coverage, while Tom's Guide does.

So in summary, no plans to spin off a new section just for TVs, but we will be renaming the existing section to better reflect the subject matter. A number of other sections are also slated for removal or merging (because we recognize that a lot of them are...less than useful), while some are slated to be split so that popular subjects can get more attention (such as splitting "Overclocking" and creating a dedicated "Cooling" section--the name could use more thought though). Can't give an estimate on when this will happen, but it will not be before the site and forum redesign projects have been completed.

my take on it.. is that TVs are so closely tied to dvd players, streaming players and home theater systems that you want them connected. heck, most of the questions regarding tvs other than "my tv is broke" would be the how to connect it to my home theater.

if you separate home theater from tvs, you will then have created another out of place situation which you have attempted to rectify by making a split.

just my 2 cents