Need help i5-6600k Overlocking

Santoryu2510

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016
Hi All-

I recently upgrade my system and parts are on its way.

CPU: Intel i5-6600k (bnew)
MOBO: Asus Z170a Gaming Pro Carbon RGB (bnew)
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 16GB (8GBX2) DDR4 2800 (bnew)
PSU: Aerocool Strike-X Power 600W (from my last build)
Cooling: Corsair H55 (from my last build)
GPU: MSI GTX 980ti (2nd hand)

I'm planning to have my first overclock experience on my 6600k but don't know how to start. I saw many tutorials but I need more in depth explanation or details on how to do it. Also with my current H55, is OC applicable? I don't want to achieve 4.4ghz or higher and just want a safe one and wont cause any issues. I'm fine having a 4.0-4.2ghz. If my current build will do fine with this numbers, can you please show me how to achieve this with a step by step. Also please do note that its quite hot in our country which will affects the temp as well.

Thanks in advance

bignastyid

Titan
You should really consider replacing that PSU before you do anything, It's very low quality and a danger to other components in the system and running it in a hot environment is going to degrade it even faster). By just using that PSU with such a system you are already playing with fire by adding overclocking to the mix you'd be adding gasoline to the mix. For a gaming system(especially an overclocked one) you need a high quality, stable PSU and Aerocool is far from high quality and stable.

Santoryu2510

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016

Thank you, Unfortunately, I have limited budget for now as I didn't consider that one. I'm looking for a cheap one and saw a "Seasonic M12II-620 EVO 620Watts 80Plus Bronze Full Modular". Can you advise if that would be good?

bignastyid

Titan

That's a much better PSU.

Santoryu2510

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016

Appreciate your help. I'll take that one. But back to the original question, Can a H55 handle this? If so, can you please advise how can I get even just a 4 - 4.2ghz. Thanks

bignastyid

Titan

I doubt a small cooler like the h55 will be able to handle much overclocking especially in a warm environment. Assemble the system when you get the parts and see where the temps are at stock settings. Nobody is going to be able to tell you exactly which settings to use, every cpu overclock different. Go up slowly and keep doing stability checks and monitor your temps. There are many overclocking guides available, those will give you the basics on what settings you need to change and how to stress test for stability.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1570313/skylake-overclocking-guide-with-statistics

Santoryu2510

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016

Thank you. I think that should answer my question for now. Just one last question, If I don't continue doing OC, should I still replace my PSU?

bignastyid

Titan
Yes even without OCing that PSU is a potential danger to the system. Low quality PSUs skimp on their protection circuits and will also have poor voltage regulation and ripple which can damage hardware.