Laptop doesn't detect lid opening and closing. Urgent help needed

The_Vigilant3

Reputable
Aug 12, 2014
Hi. I have an hp pavilion m6 and I have been using it for quite some time now. The monitor was recently having issues as the hinges opened on side and so did the monitor. The clips were broken and I sent it in for a repair. The entire lcd front and back were changed. Now I just got it back and was using it when I noticed the lid didn't sit quite as right as it did before. That was tolerable but then I noticed the screen hadn't turned off either. The screen did turn off after a couple of minutes which is usually the amount of time it takes but when I opened the lid the screen remained turned off and turned on only when I pressed a key or moved the mouse. I really need urgent help so that I can send it back if it's a hardware issue. Thanks

This is likely a power options setting issue.

Go to "Power Options" -> "Change Plan settings" -> Advanced -> Scroll down until you see something that has to do with "lid" -> Change each function you wish to change by opening it up, by clicking the "+" symbol next to them.

This is likely a option the repairmen changed to make their job a bit easier rather than having to wait for it to come out of sleep mode.

All the best!

The_Vigilant3

Reputable
Aug 12, 2014

Thanks for the quick reply. However, that is not the issue I am afraid. Being the power user I am I had already tweaked the settings to do nothing because I needed to be away from the machine but I didn't want to shut it down or put it to sleep. So when I closed the lid the screen turned off while opening it turned it back on. I just checked again and the settings were there as they had been before. I guess I'll send it back anyway because the lid not sitting properly is a nuisance especially when I pick up the laptop vertically and it opens a little. Thanks anyway.
P.S. if you still think this is a software issue I am more than ready to hear your advice because I just got it after a week and I don't want to send it back in.