Asrock z87 Extrem6 Motherboard unexpected hard resets

NormCameron

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Recently my PC has begun to do unexpected hard resets. I have an Asrock Z87 Extreme 6 motherboard with a Thermaltake 900w PSU, SLI'd Nvidea 560 GTX graphics, SSD and 3 HDD's in a thermaltake Level 10 GT Case. My processor is an Intel i7 4770k, Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler, not overclocked and 16gb G-Skill Ripjaws RAM. I have had this system for three years without issue. I made no recent hardware upgrades prior to this issue occuring and Windows 10 has been installed for at least 12 months.

While trouble shooting I have,
1. upgraded the PSU from 900W to a Zalman 1350w,
2.run a number of memory checks,
3. tried a single new stick of memory,
4.swapped out the graphics cards with one from another machine
6 Reinstalled Windows with a clean install
7 Upgraded all drivers.
8. Changed hard drives.

By a process of elimination I think I have arrived at the conclusion that it is a faulty capacitor or capacitors on the asrock motherboard. The issue occurs when I am doing something, typing into my browser, or playing a game, Most commonly running a Windows command such a Control Panel or Netplwiz can often cause a Hard Reset. Graphic load seems to play no part, I am running various HW monitors and temps for CPU and Graphics cards never exceed recommended levels. The system will quite happily idle for hours, the fault is entirely random and can't be replicated. There is no data recorded for the crash by windows, ever, which makes me think it is hardware and not an OS shutdown, The Windows event logs seem to indicate a number of processes failing immediately prior to the restart, but these do not seem to be the same processes each time. Can anybody give me their thoughts or suggestions before I pop for a new Motherboard.
I have also changed my mouse and Keyboard, still resets at random intervals. Only thing original is CPU, SSD and Motherboard.

'' Windows 10 has been installed for at least 12 months '' ya but still Microsoft and 10's updateing policy ??? you just don't know what they slip on to you with it under your nose ?

try a bootable dvd of Linux play around its desktop and see if the issue pops up under it ??

You can download the Linux Mint operating system for free. It comes as an ISO file
which you need to burn to a blank DVD. The liveDVD is then bootable and provides a
fully-functional operating system which you can try without affecting your PC. In
layman's terms, when you put Linux Mint on a DVD and place it into your computer, you
can try it out while leaving your current system intact.

https://www.linuxmint.com/documentation/user-guide/Cinnamon/english_17.3.pdf

I use the same board , on it now ..