Workstation/Gaming - Planning a build 2000-3000 €

gantzz

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016
Sup' everyone,
I'm a freelance 3D Artist and also love playing games. My current PC (just so you know where I'm coming from) which I build about 3 Years ago is slowly dragging me down for both purposes:
Intel i7-2600K
Asus p6z68-v pro gen3
16 GB Ram
Evga GTX-570 HD (an MSI GTX 1070 Gaming is already on it's way because playing games with the gtx-570 is already nearly impossible)
Samsung 830 320GB SSD

First of all, I'm planing on building up a new machine but It's not urgent or let's say it will happen in about 2-3 months.
I still would like to hear your thoughts on this today since I didn't stay up to date when it comes to recent hardware generations as much and you guys know much more about it all anyway.
Also, maybe you know that something, worth waiting for even longer is just around the corner.

1. Budget/Location

The budget would be something around 2.000 € but it's rather flexible and if it makes sense could go up to 3.000 €.
I don't need a craphics card since I already ordered a GTX 1070 and plan on puting it into the new workstation once I build it up.
Also things like new monitors etc. are not needed for now.
I live in Germany.

2. Aim
What I need the workstation for: I'm working mainly (70% of the time) with Autodesk 3D's Max + Vray creating 3D visualisations. Besides that some Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign and a bit Premiere/After Effects.
As for games mainly shooters, such as BF3, Homefront the Revolution and new ones to come...

For my work CPU power, and especially the number of cores/threads as well as sufficient RAM (32+ GB) is most essential.
GPU rendering can be helpful for progressive rendering while setting up lighting etc but it's not that important in my case. That is also why I definitely do not need a Quadro or FirePro (those won't allow much gaming anyway).

I would need 1x SSD for the System/Apps, optionaly 1xSSD for "active" job projects and definitely 1x 2 TB HDD.

3. Monitors?
I don't need any for now. The one's I'm currently using:
1 x EIZO CG222W (1680x1050) & 1x cheap Samsung Screen (1680x1050)
Yes, I do plan on upgrading to higher resolution screens at some point but that can wait for now.

4. Peripherals
I will not need any extra peripherals but I will need a new Microsoft licence (running win7 now, I guess I might need a win10).

5. Why are you upgrading?

Well, my current system is getting slow for my work. Recently I had the pleasure of working on several HP Workstations Z8xx while on a job.
Seeing 50+ render buckets finishing an image in such a short time does leave a "deep scar" in one's mind. :)
Btw. those workstations were equiped with high end Quadros and it still didn't make a big difference... at least not for the type of work and software that was used.

6. My Ideas/Plans
I think that a Dual Xeon build makes most sense but...
There is one thing I can't decide on though because I'm probably just stupid.
Should I buy two Xeons of the older generations that are cheaper and build those in?
Or should I buy just one newer powerfull 10-14 Core Xeon CPU for now and add a second one later when I realize that I need the extra power and have the extra money.
I'm seeing lots of dual Xeon builds on youtube with the Xeon E5-2670 since it is so freaking cheap but I really don't know/understand the performance difference between the CPU generations.
Is v1 much slower than the v4 broadwells or am I sacrificing something else completely?

One thing is clear, if I build this thing up I want it to last 4-5 years, or at least that I can upgrade it in some meaningful way. So I assume it should be a 2011-3 socket board?

I'm aware that gaming uses less number of cores but instead needs higher clock speeds per core. As for my rendering work more cores/threads would probably be more benefitial.
Hence the dilema choosing between let's say a 8 core 3.0 ghz CPU or a 12 core 2.4 ghz CPU.

Sorry for writting that much but I hope that way you might understand better what I'm looking for and what my options are.

Thanks a lot in advance for any tips and recommendations!

Nuckles_56

Admirable
Here is what I suggest, have it set up so that you have a boot disk with your programs on it (850EVO as it is perfect for this role), a scratch disk (the intel 750 series, to ensure that the CPU gets the data as fast as possible) and also a data storage disk (the WD black). With this build you will have a 16 core monster, which should spend most of the time at max turbo speeds seeing as it will have excellent cooling
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2620 V4 2.1GHz 8-Core Processor (€429.69 @ Mindfactory)
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2620 V4 2.1GHz 8-Core Processor (€429.69 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler (€87.99 @ Aquatuning)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler (€87.99 @ Aquatuning)
Motherboard: Supermicro MBD-X10DAL-I-O ATX Dual-CPU LGA2011-3 Motherboard (€368.86 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: Kingston 64GB (4 x 16GB) Registered DDR4-2133 Memory (€326.66 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Intel 750 Series 400GB PCI-E Solid State Drive (€307.46 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€143.66 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€212.02 @ Mindfactory)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (€105.14 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€169.10 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €2668.26
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-16 13:58 CEST+0200

gantzz

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016

Thanks a lot Nuckles!
That's a great build.

I am a bit torn though. I do have that budget but ofc I don't want to spend too much money needlessly when there such crazy performance/cost deals. Now I'm thinking of maybe getting two of the older Xeon E5-2670.
Still getting all the good, uptodate hardware as a futureproof base like the Supermicro MBD-X10DAL-I-O ATX Dual-CPU LGA2011-3 Motherboard that you suggested or even an ASUS Z10PE-D16 WS? Then maybe in 2 Years use the money that I would save now to buy even better CPUs. You see for my work I would like an upgrade from what I'm using now and I guess 2xXeon E5-2670 would already get me there.

I'm reading that each generation there's about ~10% better IPC but is it the overall performance or is it noticable only in certain situations/work patterns? Even if it 25-30 % more performance the price contrast is still kinda crazy.

If I go with the older Xeon E5-2670 I would need to take DDR3 Ram, right? Is that considerably worse than DDR4?

Nuckles_56

Admirable
You do lose out to a certain extent by going with the older Xeon processors as the new ones are quite a bit faster than the E5-2670 and have a fair amount more memory bandwidth due to the DDR4 memory, that 10% is an average over all testing, some thing will show more of an improvement than others depending on how the test uses the CPU and the available resources.

gantzz

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016
Ok, I think I will go with a 2011-3 system...

If I choose the E5-2670s I'd have to go with the older 2011 socket and DDR3. Meaning I would save some money now but if I want to upgrade to a better CPU I'd have to switch plattforms to 2011-3 since 2011 is kinda dead.

On the other hand If I buy an 2011-3 system now I would spend about 600 € more on a similar 2x8-core Xeon v4 but would have about 30% better IPC, DDR4 Ram AND the ability to simply buy better CPUs of the v4 generation in 3-4 years (maybe by then used v4 Xeons start popping up on ebay).

Nuckles_56

Admirable
Exactly, and I'd say that it is worth it for the newer socket and technology, plus it will mean that in the future you'll be able to get bigger capacity RAM sticks if needed

gantzz

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016
Thanks a bunch, man!

Once the time has come I will check again for a good v4 Xeon deal and post a possible part list.
Hope to get your feedback on that then :)

btw. does it make sense to get one of the more expensive Asus boards, such as the Asus Z10PE-D8 WS SSI EEB?

Nuckles_56

Admirable
Honestly, that is one of those things which is hard to determine, it depends on whether spending that money gives you features you need or whether a cheaper board will do all the same things. Also whether one board will outlast the other by a significant amount