Everything runs slow or is not responding on Windows 10 upgrade

Nutmart

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016
First off, I would consider myself to know a little bit more than your casual computer user, but am definitely not an expert on anything in regards to it. Here is my story, it is long but I think I should be as thorough as possible:

Years ago a friend of mine and myself built my first home built pc. Everything was fine, except that we chose a 60gb ssd to run the os (Windows 7), which turned out to be way too small as it was nearly full ( around 1.5 gigs free) from just the os and about a year and a half of regular updates, so I decided to get a larger 250gb ssd, while my 1tb hdd had all of my programs, data, etc. In the meantime, my cpu was running consistently at a higher temp, which after some research I discovered was due to Windows update not running properly, causing the os to constantly be trying to update, working my processor harder than usual. Finally I decided to install the 250 gb ssd so I would have more room, but also with the hope that maybe it would allow windows update to work like normal.

I backed up everything, took out the 60 gb ssd, installed the 250 gb ssd, and then did a fresh install of Windows 7 on it. One thing that may have been a mistake on my part was that I did NOT take out my 1tb hdd when I did all of this, which according to my research was something I should have done.

Anyway, after the install, I loaded up Windows and the first thing I checked was Windows update, which still didn't work. At this point I had no clue what to do, and then I realized that I could upgrade to Windows 10. So I did, hoping that it would solve my problem, and maybe it would be better than 7! After the upgrade and installing all drivers, Windows update seemed to work normally! So I began to run some software that I had on my hdd, but I noticed that they weren't showing up on my installed programs. I figured that even though they were all entirely installed on the hdd, some important bit of them must have been on that 60 gb ssd that I took out, which was preventing me from seeing them. So I went ahead and reinstalled all of them (wasn't many, steam, premier, cubase, etc.). After reinstalling, everything runs horribly compared to Windows 7. Sometimes it takes 15 seconds just to explore the hdd from the explorer. Certain Cubase projects take minutes to open when they previously took seconds, and some of the audio files from projects don't even load entirely after the project opens. Steam is the same thing, not responding every time I open it. I have installed and reinstalled every program multiple times and nothing fixes it.

Sorry for the long text, but I figured it was important to say every step I took. My specs are:

I7-2600k 3.40GHz cpu
Gskill 16 gb (2x 8gb) DDR3 ram
ASUS P8H77-V mobo
Corsair 750w power supply
MSI GTX560 graphics card
Crucial mx200 250gb ssd
WD 1tb hdd (WD1002FAEX)

What I'm looking for are mistakes in my process, and/or possible solutions that will get Windows 10 running as well as Windows 7. I'd really appreciate any help I could get.

Thank you.

Solution
Try updating your bios and motherboard drivers. There are windows 10 64 bit drivers for your motherboard here: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H77V_LE/HelpDesk_Download/

if that is wrong version (blame google), try here: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H77V/HelpDesk_Download/ though you can use win 8.1 drivers as well as there is more selection.
Hello Nutmart

If I were you, I would have removed all the installed programs from the HDD, disconnected it from the computer, performed a fresh install of Windows 10, reconnected the HDD to the PC, and installed all the needed programs from the scratch.

I find this way simpler than messing with various registry entries and system files to fix the issue.

Feel free to report back if any further assistance is needed.

Cheers!! :)

Nutmart

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016
@viveknayyar007

I ended up probably a bit overkill on this, mostly because these past couple days have been extremely frustrating, but I saved everything that I needed, formatted both drives (the hdd and ssd) and reinstalled Windows 10 with only the ssd plugged in. I haven't really installed many programs yet, but I will return once I have. So far, there have been instances where the start menu simply will not open, as well as the notification menu at the bottom right. Chrome works perfectly, and file explorer works ok, although somewhat sluggish sometimes. The only thing I can think of now is that my motherboard is not compatible with windows 10, which if that's the case I'll have to go back to 7 and hope that the windows update starts working (which it probably won't).

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try updating your bios and motherboard drivers. There are windows 10 64 bit drivers for your motherboard here: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H77V_LE/HelpDesk_Download/

if that is wrong version (blame google), try here: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H77V/HelpDesk_Download/ though you can use win 8.1 drivers as well as there is more selection.

Solution

Nutmart

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016

Thanks for those links. I have downloaded the BIOS and chipset drivers, do I need the audio/VGA/lan drivers? I am using a RME babyface as my sound card, and am not sure what the VGA and lan drivers are?

Also, if I understand correctly, I will have to put the .CAP file onto a usb drive and flash it to the mobo? If I do this and it doesn't end up working, will it be an issue if I decide to go back to windows 7 with the windows 10 drivers flash installed on my mobo?

Thanks again.

Colif

Win 11 Master
How to flash Asus bios
unzip .cap file onto USB
boot into bios
look in tools menu for EZ Flash 2
insert USB
It might find the .cap file without you searching for it, otherwise use the explorer like tree to find usb and click .cap
it will flash bios and restart. You will need to set the defaults (should be a button choice)

There is a chance Windows 10 would have grabbed those drivers already, as Asus would have given Microsoft a pack of drivers for your motherboard and from what I can see its never updated them so the drivers you got are probably on the pc already.

If you install Win 7 it will not have any win 10 drivers left on it. The only "driver" that can survive a install is the BIOS and it doesn't normally care what OS you are using

Nutmart

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016

Is there anyway I can see if my motherboard has the most recent windows 10 drivers already installed before I try to do it with ez flash?

Colif

Win 11 Master
You can download a program called Speccy, it can tell you on its main page what bios version you have: https://www.piriform.com/speccy

I may have confused you. The drivers Windows would have installed don't include the BIOS, the only way to install it is via EZ Flash on your motherboard, newer Asus boards let you update it from inside windows but none of them let Windows Update do it yet. THe drivers Windows Update can provide would be the Lan, Audio and motherboard chipset drivers.

Nutmart

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016

Thanks for the clarification, so if I understand correctly, the only thing I should be manually updating is the BIOS? Other things like the intel chipset drivers should have been downloaded automatically by Windows?

Also according to my system information: "BIOS Version/Date - American Megatrends Inc. 0402 2/27/2012"
I'm assuming this means that the BIOS needs to be updated?

Colif

Win 11 Master
latest version is 1905 dated 20 March 2015 so it looks that way. There have been 12 bios since the one you have was released. Almost every one improves system compatibility but you only need to install one of them. the latest.

Newer BIOS means PC will recognise newer hardware and some of the commands asked of it by new drivers.

One thing at a time, the new bios may be all you need. If you still have problems we will look at drivers again.

Nutmart

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016

Really appreciate your help Colif, I will try this shortly.

Nutmart

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016

Saved me there, didn't even realize that they were two different links.

Nutmart

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016

BIOS has been updated, process seemed to go successfully. However Windows will not boot, it keeps telling me the inaccessible boot device error, but the drive is correct as I checked the bios.

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, that was not helpful

If you have another pc you can use, download the windows 10 media creation tool and create a Win 10 installation USB or DVD (your choice)

its just a boot disc if nothing else
go into bios and set USB or DVD as first in boot order, ssd second
boot from installer
on screen after language choices, select repair this pc, not install
select troubleshoot
select advanced
select start up options
select one of the 3 safe mode choices
PC should restart and boot into safe mode
now restart pc (yes, just going into safe mode can fix this)

if that doesn't work we can try start up repair
boot from installer, select repair this pc again
select troubleshoot/advanced/start up repair - this will scan pc and maybe fix problem - will ask for logon details

If this still fails to fix it, might need a reset
before I show you that, is there anything on pc you want to save? you can try this: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/
Also disconnect the 1tb drive as otherwise it will delete its contents

once everything saved, boot from installer again, select repair this pc
on this menu, select reset this pc
2 choices, save files and settings (it saves anything in library folders, so like Documents, music, etc), or wipe it all
which ever you choose, pc will save a few things, and then restart to reisntall win 10

now if drive says it is locked at this stage, try this: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/the-drive-where-windows-is-installed-is-locked

Nutmart

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016

I do not see any option for startup in safe mode, tried the startup repair but no success. I am now going to try to reinstall Windows 10 with your method. Am going to unplug hdd just in case.

Nutmart

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016

I have reinstalled Windows, first initial boot was fine, but what I went back to the BIOS to change boot priority, same error kept coming up and I couldn't get in. However was able to start in safe mode, once I restarted from that, it seems to work. I'm going to restart it a couple more times to make sure. Then we can test performance

Nutmart

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016

Restarted a few times, boots fine. It felt like random things would run slowly, things like File Explorer or any kind of Windows menu, like device manager for example, would randomly not respond and take a long time to even open. Other things that I did have installed on the hard disk would also randomly run or not run properly. I'll let you know later tonight how performance is, thanks again for your help

Nutmart

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016

As of now I'm pretty sure you have fixed my issue, which seems like it was my motherboard being out of date, specifically the BIOS. Everything so far is running normal, and all of the previous issues I had are gone. Thank you so much for your help, you have saved me a ton of research and time!