Need help choosing a budget 1080p monitor

JamezC

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014
Like the title says, I'm looking for a new monitor with a budget of $150 to replace my old Acer AL2216W monitor that I've used for years. I built my own pc last fall, and figured it was time to finally get myself a 1080p monitor for games and movies. I don't game competitively, and mostly play indies, jrpgs and older titles. I mostly just want a solid monitor that has good color detail and a crisp display (although anything will probably seem amazing compared to what I'm currently using).

Here's some of the things that I'm looking for in a monitor:
-IPS panel
-Display port or HDMI (seems like most newer monitor come with these anyway)
- 22-24"

I'm still undecided as to whether I want a monitor with glossy or matte finish. I've heard that a glossy finish has better color but also is prone to reflections. I have a couple of lamps in my computer room which could possibly cause some glare so I'm unsure. I've been eyeing these two monitors as well, so if anyone has any experience with them I'd gladly appreciate it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009484

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236583

Here's my pc's build as well: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Shikkun/builds/

Solution
GW2470H is a solid choice.

You don't want IPS for games and movies, trust me on this one!

Correct, most monitors come with the usual display ports, HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI, and sometimes VGA even.

Glossy vs Matte can be difficult to decide. But, I would personally go with a matte screen, glossy monitors can be annoying, because there doesn't have to be a strong light from anywhere in order to reflect the surroundings, they also oversaturate colors.

Your PC is solid and good to go for gaming.

All the best!
GW2470H is a solid choice.

You don't want IPS for games and movies, trust me on this one!

Correct, most monitors come with the usual display ports, HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI, and sometimes VGA even.

Glossy vs Matte can be difficult to decide. But, I would personally go with a matte screen, glossy monitors can be annoying, because there doesn't have to be a strong light from anywhere in order to reflect the surroundings, they also oversaturate colors.

Your PC is solid and good to go for gaming.

All the best!

Solution
I have an ASUS monitor with a 144hz TN panel and I've been really pleased with it thus far. My only complaint so far is that it tends to be a bit too bright. I've turned the brightness down to about 20% and switching between a game and a white web page can be a little jarring especially in a dark room. I'm still a person that likes to check out monitors in person before I buy. Specs are great, but monitors keyboards and mice need to be experienced in person.

JamezC

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014

I'm not sure why, but I never actually looked the the Benq monitors .Although, after looking at the GW2470H, maybe I should've, it looks like it'll fit the bill for me. Thanks for the help!

Also, why would you not recommend IPS panels for gaming? Is it because VA panels have better color contrast vs IPS? I'm just curious, since I'm still learning about different panel types.