Info about upgrading to Windows 10 and clean install

PortaXerouli55

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
Hello,
I know that this has been said a lot this past year, but i want a bit more info about upgrading to Windows 10 and doing a clean install.

I am gonna get a pc within a month and i plan on installing Windows 7 on it. I want Windows 10 as my operating system, so since i will not have any unnecessary programs and files, should i do an upgrade to Windows 10 or a clean install? I should note that i will have some important drivers installed.

Also, explain to me what exactly is a clean install? (Is it the same as formatting and installing an os or am i wrong here? I know that you keep no files with the clean install i just do not want to format my brand new HDD)

If i were to do an upgrade to Windows 10, and yet i did not want to keep any junk on my drive (old windows files and whatnot), what would my options be here?

One last thing, is there a difference between upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 and Windows 8.1?

Thanks.

Solution

No, it's just that there are too many people trying to scam the system.
Academic, corporate, etc, etc....all can be 'free + legit'
But if someone says "no need to know where", that makes my spidey sense tingle.
"nudge nudge wink wink don't ask where this free stuff came from"

Ya know?

Anyway...you can install and activate Win 10 with just a valid WIn 7/8/8.1 license.
Clean install, enter your Win 7 license key, and off you...
Hello..."clean install" win 10

"Clean Install' means deleting all previous "Partitions" on the HD/SSD ( using the install media )... before install of the OS.

1) Install/Boot from your Windows install media.
2) Type in needed data and complete information screens.
3) "Type of install" screen choose "Custom Install"
4) When HD/SSD/Drive information screen is Displayed click the "Drive options" app below.
5) Highlight a "Partition" and click delete.
6) Repeat till there are NO more "Partitions"visible.
6a) sometimes it takes a few "re-boots" with the install media to get them all.
7) When your drive is "Clean" Start/click the OS "Install" and the Windows "Install button" And the install will start... AND will create the needed "New Partitions" on it.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
when doing the upgrade to win 10, if you select "save nothing" from the set-up menu when it asks. this is the same as a clean install. it removes everything and starts with a fresh win 10 install. plenty good enough, especially if win 7 is also a new install and not had anything done to it.

though MS has said you should be able to install with 10 with your win 7 key. not done it myself but others have said it works for them.

USAFRet

Titan

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you were talking about a legit OS license.
If it was legit + free (which does exist), you wouldn't have an issue mentioning it. Since you do seem to have an issue with that...we are left to come up to our own conclusions.

PortaXerouli55

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013

My goodness.. It is a legit one. It's just provided for free due to some special case. Man, you are too suspicious.

PortaXerouli55

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013

This is by far my best option till now. Thanks Math Geek :)

PortaXerouli55

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013

You make me giggle. Yes, it is indeed as you say, but i did start writing why it is free but then i decided not to publish since i was getting out of topic (pretty much like now).

USAFRet

Titan

No, it's just that there are too many people trying to scam the system.
Academic, corporate, etc, etc....all can be 'free + legit'
But if someone says "no need to know where", that makes my spidey sense tingle.
"nudge nudge wink wink don't ask where this free stuff came from"

Ya know?

Anyway...you can install and activate Win 10 with just a valid WIn 7/8/8.1 license.
Clean install, enter your Win 7 license key, and off you go.

No need to install 7 first and then Upgrade.

Solution

PortaXerouli55

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013

I've never said this to anyone, I love you.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

A clean install typically just means wiping the old OS away and installing from scratch, rather than going the upgrade route and installing Win 10 on top of the old OS. If you had other partitions that weren't part of the OS install, I don't know why you'd have to get rid of them.

@TJ Hooker
Hello... manual control and inspection or trust/assume it was done by someone else? if it was your employee doing a PAID JOB for you?... your family, your business? your income? the choice is yours how you want to runs things B /

Or if someone comes here and ASKs why are all these partitions on my HD? How do I get rid of them? DOES create more best answers opportunities for us all. B )