Internet Disconnects/TimesOut Once-Twice Every Hour

Denis_20

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016
Sometimes when im streaming a skype call, watching videos on youtube, browsing the web, playing games, my internet all of a sudden instantly just crashes. I have to wait about 30-60 seconds before the internet restarts and chrome frequently shows me that they detected either a network change or that they cant communicate with the dns server.

The internet connection condition is shown as unstable at this time and the connection shows that it is connected but has a warning sign at the botton. (Im using windows 8.1 bootcamped onto a macbook pro late 2015).

This problem aroused after I had some issues of my internet shitting on me for one whole day once a week so I called my isp and they changed my modem. Ever since the connection has been unstable. During this time I also ran a automatic driver updater on my computer so that could be a issue.

It used to be that when I was on wifi, the internet would just spike its ping instead of disconnecting and it was only when I was on a usb-ehternet adapter that the connection drops. During mutliplayer games such as csgo, you can imagine how rage inducing this is. However, the past 2 weeks are so, it turned into so that it didnt matter if i was on ethernet or wifi, the connection shit on me more and more frequently.

Yesterday my isp came over yet again and said that there is currently no visible issue with the modem or the router. Which I thought was total bullshit.

I can slightly confirm that this is a problem for other pc's in my house but sometimes not as frequent. (If my pc disconnects twice every hour, other pc's tend to disconnect once every hour)

Also when I was at my friends house playing csgo, I was the only one having frequent ping spikes when we were all on the same connection.

Please.

kanewolf

Titan
On your PC bring up a cmd.exe window and type: ipconfig /all | find "Lease"
That will tell you how long the DHCP lease for your computer is.
On my computer --
ipconfig /all | find "Lease"
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, May 21, 2016 1:04:24 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, June 19, 2016 9:39:12 AM

The lease is days long. If your lease is short (hours) then that could explain your disconnects.

Denis_20

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016

Thanks very much for the reply!

I did the lease command and yes! it does seem to be disconnecting every hour. http://imgur.com/7PaK4wM

How do I fix this?

kanewolf

Titan
That would be a setting in your router. You didn't specify what router you have so I can't show you specific screens. Look for the DHCP section. The duration is often listed in seconds or minutes.