Computer not starting/stop working

Justin001

Reputable
Mar 11, 2015
Last night my computer froze while transfering some files, it rarely ever freezes. I pressed the reset button and it would not start back up though the fans/lights were on. I tried a couple times before giving up. it sat for about 10 minutes and I thought I would check to see if the mobo would beep when I powered it on. It did not beep, but did finally turn on. Whatever. Then early this morning it would not go to sleep and had done the same thing. Powering it off for a bit and turning it back on did the trick.

So, I am wandering if its the power supply. I downloaded speed fan though i really know nothing about PS stuff. Heres what it says:

vcore 1.32v
+12v 1.64v
AVcc 3.34v
GPU Vddc 0.83v

Is it the power supply or maybe something else?

Doramius

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2013
Freezing of the computer is usually related to the GPU or the CPU [and on rare occasion memory]. A hard drive can also cause freezing, but if it were the hard drive, you would have been able to boot your system and received a HDD, missing OS, or corrupt MBR error, etc. I'm more likely to believe it is a video card error. If you have onboard video, remove the video card and see if that works, or try swapping with a known good video card.

If it is the video card, check the fan. Make sure it can freely spin without any effort. If the fan works, try redoing the thermal paste, and removing any thermal pads over chips and use paste instead.

See how that works first, and we'll move onto another component if that doesn't work.

Justin001

Reputable
Mar 11, 2015
Sorry for the late reply. I am ordering a new psu (it needed upgraded anyways, currently a 350w) and video card in the morning. It did it again tonight, both times it has done this my phone was plugged in and I was transferring files to the phone.

Not sure if that is putting to much stress on one or the other or both or maybe not related. Hopefully these help, she's old but not quite ready to completely upgrade my rig or get a new one.

EDIT: I did notice my cpu core temp #1 through #6 is around 19 to 20° Center, occasionally jumping up to 25 c. It says CPU is 38°. Related maybe?

Doramius

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2013

Did you get it figured out. Still sounds like potential heat.

Justin001

Reputable
Mar 11, 2015
Nope. It has done it maybe 2 or 3 times again since upgrading the psu and gpu. All of my Temps are pretty good I think, cpu stays in 30 to 40c under idle. Under load playing bf4 on high settingd it only gets up to 65ish. But it happens usually at night when it's just sitting idle and goes to sleep.

Tax time I am either going to upgrade my mobo, cpu and ram or maybe just build a whole new rig. One way or another it'll get fixed lol.