2K monitor disables 1920 x 1080 monitors on another DVI-I port

Astralv

Distinguished
Hey there

I bought 2K LG monitor with 2560 x 1080 resolution. I also had to buy new KVM switch because my old KVM switch did not support 2560 x 1080.

I have uncommon set up due to the design of my music recording studio. I use:

3 monitors is "Duplicate" mode and 1 monitor "extended desktop" to it.

The 3 monitors connected to the gaming graphic card AMD 7850HD. The extended monitor connected to the graphic on motherboard.

The main Desktop monitor is connected to DVD D port. The 2 other monitors that duplicate desktop (show the same thing as main monitor) are connected to single DVI-I port with DVI to VGA adapter and powered VGA splitter. So 2 monitors are connected to the one port with powered box that uses its own power supply to provide split signal to these 2 monitors. Back in 2013, graphic cards did not support 3 monitors very easy and 4 monitors were difficult to set up, so I had to use powered splitter to make it work.

When I have only monitors supporting 1920 x 1080, all 4 monitors work great and happy. They have to all be 1920 x 1080 physically, otherwise the resolution on duplicated monitors drops to the lowest (I had small monitor connected at some time and all three would only work at 1600x900 if small monitor is connected.

So when I bought 2K monitor, I expected there will be issues and that I will not be able to use it at 2560 x 1080. I thought I would have to run it at 1920 x 1080. But for some reason, when 2K monitor connected, the 2 split screen monitors stay dark and would not light up. Even if I set the 2K monitor to work at 1920 x 1080- those 2 still not working.

If I was to buy all 3 2560 x 1080 (not that I can afford it), will 2560 x 1080 work with VGA? I seriously doubt my powered VGA splitter box supports such resolution.

My question is this:

1. Why my "duplicate view" monitors stop working when higher resolution monitor is collected to that port? (Not working if I use duplicate or extend mode). If I return this monitor I would never take a risk to buy another one...

2. Is there any way to have 4 monitors set up of which 3 would be in duplicate mode and one in extend? How about in the future? I will be rebuilding in 2017.

Thank you very much.