Windows 10 Retail Version transferability

pavlosmp

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
Hello,

This I am going to ask today is a very controversial question and as I was doing my research on the web , I found out several answers that sometimes deny each other so this is why I'm here today.

I have a retail copy of windows 10 and I would like to install it on my current pc as I am changing the storage unit. In a few months I am going to actually upgrade my pc components included the motherboard to something for high-end. Will I be able to move the retail key to the new motherboard or will it stuck there? When I get the new one I'm going to hand my current pc over a friend of mine without a storage unit but with the same motherboard. Should I use the retail key or will I lose it for ever and wont be able to move it to another pc?

*Note* My current mobo has an OEM license key linked to it.

Thank you in advance.

Solution
Why do you want to use retail key on current pc if its got an OEM licence now? Only item in a PC that requires a new licence in an OEM case is a Motherboard, you can swap storage all you like.

Save the retail licence for the new PC as though you can move it from one motherboard to another, I can foresee a possible call to Microsoft in your future asking why your retail copy just unactivated. Windows 10 matches the motherboard to a licence and though you can move the retail copy from one motherboard to another, the database they store the registrations in would have two motherboards recorded against your licence and could activate your friends pc as well as your own under same licence.

Yes, this can be avoided by your friend putting in...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Why do you want to use retail key on current pc if its got an OEM licence now? Only item in a PC that requires a new licence in an OEM case is a Motherboard, you can swap storage all you like.

Save the retail licence for the new PC as though you can move it from one motherboard to another, I can foresee a possible call to Microsoft in your future asking why your retail copy just unactivated. Windows 10 matches the motherboard to a licence and though you can move the retail copy from one motherboard to another, the database they store the registrations in would have two motherboards recorded against your licence and could activate your friends pc as well as your own under same licence.

Yes, this can be avoided by your friend putting in his own licence on install but I don't know how the activation process works to know if it would avoid the scenario I painted above. Better to leave that licence for new PC and avoid any problems.

Solution

pavlosmp

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
The licence key it currently holds is a win7 32 bit one...Will I be able to upgrade to windows 10 64bit from this by upgrading with a clean install from a usb drive?

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, you can Upgrade that to Win 10. Since you are going from 32bit to 64bit, this has to be a full wipe and reinstall.
You use your valid Win 7 license key to activate the Win 10.

This must be done and activated before July 29. Don't wait until the last day.