Partition is gone from win8.1 botch. Now installing win10 from disc. But no partition? Help!

Jagori

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2007
First off. This community is the best pc guru community on the net hands down. You brilliant chaps have been the solve for many of my problems.

Now to my issue.

During a failed win8.1 upgrade, the partitions got wiped it seems.
The pc has sat dormant for a year, and now i need to get it going again.

I have none of my original windows 8 discs. But i do have a win10 pro disc.

So ive began by booting from dvd, that works ok.
But when i get to install screen, there are zero partitions !
It wont let me create a new one! It just asks for "load driver" or cancel.

I can find little to no reference to partition drivers on the net?
Im not sure how to get the partition to load so i can install a fresh windows.

What do i do guys???
Thanks in advance!!!

Jagori

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2007
Anything. Absolutely anything.

But the only disc i have is win 10 pro. So id love that to work atm.

With no partition im just not sure how to proceed.

I cant access windows at all. Not the original 8.1, if i try to boot from HDD it just demands a boot disc.

So frankly im ok to just use the win10 disc to format and start anew. Just this partition issue..

Hello... Good information... B ) It's good you have Media... it makes it easier B D Please un-plug any other Drives, from your MB with these instructions B )
....What I suggest is a "Clean install " then using the Your WIN10 PRO media...

"Clean Install' means deleting all previous "Partitions" on the HD/SSD ( using the install media )... before install of the OS.

1) Install/Boot from your Windows install media.
2) Type in needed data and complete information screens.
3) "Type of install" screen choose "Custom Install"
4) When HD/SSD/Drive information screen is Displayed click the "Drive options" app below.
5) Highlight a "Partition" and click delete.
6) Repeat till there are NO more "Partitions"visible.
6a) sometimes it takes a few "re-boots" with the install media to get them all.
7) When your drive is "Clean" Start/click the OS "Install" and the Windows "Install button" And the install will start... AND will create the needed "New Partitions" on it.

Jagori

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2007
As you describe is the normal method ive always understood. But it doesnt work for me.
I can follow your steps until i reach CUSTOM INSTALL.
There are no partitions listed to delete.
I cannot create a new either, it asks me to load the partition driver?
Ive reformatted and installed cleanly from discs many times, but this time im so confused.

No listed partitions, cannot delete, only 2 options from this screen, are load driver. And cancel.
I have no driver to load? (What driver does it want??)

Jagori

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2007
It stops at the partition screen. And wont continue because it "cannot find a partition".
It wont let me create one either. And there are none to delete.
When i reach the 2 options "Install Windows", or "Custom Install". Neither will work as no there seems to be no partitions at all.
And selecting "Custom Install" i can reach my partition screen, to delete and add. But all boxes are 'Greyed out'. I can only "load driver".

I cant go any farther on the install process.

Im at work now, but i can photo where im at in a few hours when i get home. But honestly its exactly as i describe.

But no freezing takes place

Hello... OK... I think I under stand better the situation... Your Boot Drive and Windows is reporting all partitions are Gone? am I correct here? IF so... could you un plug your computer from the WALL outlet for ~3 mins ... back in... and Re-boot this time and Try and complete the "Typical" install for me? B /

Colif

Win 11 Master
try making a new installer on another USB, you can download win 10 from here: Win 10 media creation tool

It is possible the installer you are trying to use is at fault. Make sure USB is at least 8gb

Also, try updating your bios

try this
If you are installing with USB drive, when it asks for driver, click Cancel. Once you are at the welcome screen, insert the USB drive to a different USB port. Then click Install Now to install.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-clean-install-a-media-driver-your/3068a127-f088-44a2-af36-ba90a1604855?auth=1

Jagori

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2007
Ironsounds.
I have unplugged it numerous times in several attempts. As ive been using the cords to power another computer as im fixing an unrelated issue.

So the gateway with the partition problem has been unplugged and replugged. Restarted and rerun nearly a dozen times so far during my attempts.
But your right. The computer cannot seem to find or create any partitions whatsoever.

Colif.
The windows 10 install disc is a new one. Ive used it once before and it gives no issues.
If i (just to test mind you) boot my brothers PC from the DVD, i can get to custom install, see his partitions and delete and add as i see fit.

But on mine, i find nothing. And no ability to create. Just load driver.

As for the USB install, i havent tried that. Unfortunately my only usb memory stick onhand is 4gb.
I fear though that it wont correct the partition issue though, just bring me to the same screen. As ive tested the windows 10 dvd on other systems, i know it functions how it should.
I will still attempt this though if you feel its worth it with all information given.

Jagori

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2007
Guys. The link that colif has above has an example issue.
Inside that link is a pic. And thats exactly what i see. The issue im having is identical.
Ill attempt the usb method and report back.

Jagori

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2007
Im afraid ive had no luck with the USB.
I removed the dvd, adjusted my boot sequence and it picked up the USB right away.
I can reach this screen:
http://tinypic.com/r/2d2j4w4/9

If i select custom, i reach an empty partition :
http://tinypic.com/r/28hj5nl/9

I can select refresh, which does nothing. Or load driver.
Im not sure what driver to load, or if that will help. Nothing will carry on and i can create no new partition, as it cant find a drive.

The USB method brought me identical results as the dvd, i followed the advice to CANCEL and swap usb ports.
It still will not create a partition.

Can anyone advise?

Hello... THx... pic#1 I see a windows install that says 'Upgrade" what is the OS version we are upgrading to?
pic#2 yes Windows has not listed and drives attached to do a install... ok I remember...

We need Windows to see a drive... So we need the MB to see the HD first and then we need to install a sata ACHI.sys driver or install in Sata IDE mode to avoid this this step.

1)Can you img me a picture of your BIO's screen in general and drives attached? Pc health... find me a report of the SATA ports settings communication mode of where your HD is plugged into ?
2) What OS version you are installing.
3) if you are reaching a screen that asks for "driver" to be installed... insert the media that came with your MB at that point please... or DL the pre-install SATA achi.sys driver from the MB website for this operation.

We need a MB hardware ACHI.sys driver IF your MB port is set for SATA ACHI communications mode... the install media will be on the list/screen B )

Jagori

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2007
Unfortuntely this is a gateway computer my brother has long misplaced the CDs.
Because its a gateway, the inside is extremely compact and difficult to determine serials or models of the MB or HDD.
I will however work on that tomorrow. Thank you for some direction with the drivers.

The current OS is windows 8. Im trying to install windows10