Need a replacement for Norton Ghost 15 when I upgrade to win 10.

losse

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
I have norton ghost 15 on a win 7 64 pc that clones or mirrors an internal HD onto another internal HD every day for a home business. It has worked flawlessly, including through a main HD crash. I hate to get rid of it cause it works. But, i hear if I upgrade to windows 10 it wont work.

What is a good cheap replacement that will automatically update the drive clone every day while the pc is still used? Like norton ghost does.

The pc is used for word processing and surfing.

USAFRet

Titan

OK...with the 'free', the default is a Full, and then Differentials. Until the next Full. And then more Differentials.
The paid version just adds the capability of Incremental.

In the Free version, you can edit the default schedule to what you want, then apply that.
I have mine set to do a Full image every night at 2AM, on a drive internal to this PC. Keep for 2 weeks, deleting the oldest.
Every Sunday at 3AM, make an image to another PC on the house LAN, keep for 4 weeks, deleting the oldest.

So, absolute worst case scenario, as in this PC melts into a pile of goo, I just get last Sundays image off the other PC.
Otherwise, just get the image off the drive in this PC, for whatever day I want in the last 2 weeks.

USAFRet

Titan
Plus, you can make a new image anytime you want, off schedule. Like before a major hardware change.
Just in case.

And as always, a backup is only as good as the last time you tested it.
Just before I Upgraded my main PC from 8.1 to Win 10 a few weeks ago, I made an image.
Then tested it. Worked perfectly.

So there was an absolute fallback in case the Win 10 Upgrade failed.

losse

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Thanks very much. What do you mean by full then differentials? Is differentials like incremental but you can only do it a limited amount of times before the full with free version?

USAFRet

Titan

Differential vs Incremental:
http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50075.aspx

Differential is the difference between the last Full image
Incremental is the difference between the last incremental.

Differential is a bit better (IMHO), because you only need the last Full image, and the relevant Differential.
Incremental needs all the the Incrementals that happened in between. But they are much smaller, so less drive space consumed.

Personally, I just prefer a Full image every night.