No desktop icons, windows, sign-in screen, or ctrl alt del

dkgameplayer

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015
Last night i decided to update to the Windows 10 Fall Update (i know a bit late but windows scheduled it for me). I left it over night to upgrade only to come back to it completely broken. I have auto sign in so when i turned on my monitor i was already logged in. There are no desktop icons, the windows are invisible, and i can move my mouse off the screen as if i had two monitors (which i don't). I tried right clicking and selecting move on the window but when i brought it over to the middle of the screen it was invisible. I rebooted and it says asus just like normal and then goes the windows logo. After that disappears its just a black screen. No signing in or accounts screen just black. When my desktop appeared then i tried doing ctrl alt del but that is also just a black screen. Any ideas? Thank you in advance and sorry for the text wall.

Solution
start PC, when it gets to logo screen, hit reset button on PC... do that 3 times and windows should load automatic repair on 4th restart. After this it loads a blue menu screen
select troubleshoot
select advanced
select start up repair - this will scan start up and may fix problem - will ask for logon info

hopefully that fixes it.

If you have a spare PC around, download the win 10 installer from here: windows 10 media creation tool. Use it to make a USB or DVD - its a useful boot disc if nothing else.

I think only option is a reset. If there is anything yoiu want to save, try using this: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/
Also d/c any extra hard...

Colif

Win 11 Master
start PC, when it gets to logo screen, hit reset button on PC... do that 3 times and windows should load automatic repair on 4th restart. After this it loads a blue menu screen
select troubleshoot
select advanced
select start up repair - this will scan start up and may fix problem - will ask for logon info

hopefully that fixes it.

If you have a spare PC around, download the win 10 installer from here: windows 10 media creation tool. Use it to make a USB or DVD - its a useful boot disc if nothing else.

I think only option is a reset. If there is anything yoiu want to save, try using this: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/
Also d/c any extra hard drives you have attached as process would wipe them.

either do the restart trick again I showed above or boot from installer and on screen after language choices, select repair this pc, not install

on next menu, select reset this pc
2 choices, save files and settings (only saves contents of libraries, like documents or music), or wipe it all
Either way, once choice is made, pc will save a few things and then restart and reinstall win 10

Solution