ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q (27/1440/144) vs Acer PredatorX34

Shakuu

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016
Trying to decide if it is worth it to me to upgrade to the Predator for my upcoming new build. It is obviously quite a bit more expensive, but within my budget. However I don't want to be wasteful if the upgrade isn't going to be worth the extra 500-600 dollars.
My build will be focused soley on gaming--with a variety of game types including FPS>RTS>MMO>others. Immersion is the most important aspect to me. I am not looking for a competitive edge.

I would appreciate any advice/input/criticism.

Here is how I see the debate, correct me if I'm wrong:

27 inch:
Higher refresh rate, makes movements more fluid, important in 1st/3rd person games with quick screen motions (especially fps) to making things feel more "real"
Likely preferred by a competitive gamer?
Less cost
More 'reliable'

34 inch:
Extra width of the screen allows you to see more 'around' you and helps feel more immersed.
100 Hz is high enough refresh that it is adequate in all but the jerkiest 180s.
More cost
Concerns with quality of the product--Seems a lot of people complain of high backlight bleeding / dead pixels

What else should I consider when making this decision. Are my conjectures complete / accurate?

Thanks for your replies!

This is a difficult question to answer, because it's 100% preference. I personally wouldn't buy an IPS or TN if the goal is "immersive". I'm referring to VA, but then you won't get GSynch, which may be a deal breaker.

If you're not gaming in the dark then IPS or TN may suit your needs, depending on how bad the defects are, typically more on IPS than TN.

I personally think GSync is a waste of money, because the good GSync monitors are so expensive. This is a question only you can answer.

21:9 I recommend https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-29-Inch-Ultra-wide-LED-Lit-S29E790C/dp/B00TR0518U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466302502&sr=8-1&keywords=Samsung+S29E790C

VA picture quality blows IPS and TN out of the water, but it's still very subjective, considering it doesn't come with GSync. Deal breaker? Certainly wouldn't be for me.

Or.

16:9 I recommend https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-27-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor-S27D590C/dp/B00N4OBHNI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466302696&sr=8-1&keywords=Samsung+S27D590C

I would give up "gaming" features any day for a monitor that would
a) better picture quality by a mile
b) better for viewing in the dark
c) cheaper, let's me spend money elsewhere, on things that actually matter as a priority in life

If you can't already tell, I'm very VA bias, but because they just look better, you might forget about the problems you're thinking about right now.

I would personally if I were you, try all 3 panel types, and find out which one you like the most that way. These questions come up a lot, same exact one infact, but there is no simple answer.

All the best!

Shakuu

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016

Thanks for the info. I have only seen the TN vs IPS debates so I haven't even considered this mysterious VA! I rarely do game in the dark, but I will definitely look into this option... and maybe I should start!
Any suggestions on how one would "try" all three? You mean in a store, or buying and returning?