Best Full HD IPS monitor brand ?

Henry Foo

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
Among brand like Acer , AOC , Dell , LG and Samsung ? Which brand provide best IPS monitor ?
I demand for 60hz , Full HD , matte screen will be better since glossy will reflect light . Will Dell Ultrasharp series outperform those brand ? Because Im interested in Dell U2417H .

Solution
I think what you tend to get with dell is panel uniformity meaning if you bought 20 or 30 identical monitors & drop the same static image on there out of the box they would be 99.9999% indistinguishable from each other.
With Asus/aoc/viewsonic you'll get subtle differences (which can be corrected through the settings)

To a general consumer this makes no odds but it makes dell very very popular for business use with multiple displays.
Dell have the buying power to buy batches of panels in the tens of thousands at a time from Samsung which means they're going to be from the same production run the majority of the time.
It's not necessarily what brand makes the best IPS monitor, rather it's what series of monitor each maker makes that yields the best color reproduction. You'll always see cheaper IPS displays and more expensive IPS displays by each vendor.

But, from what I've heard, the Dell ultrasharp series is one of the best out there in terms of pure Photoshop productivity stuff. So it will be great for movies and pictures, but not games.

Henry Foo

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016

But not for game is it really cant use for game or just not perform very well ? Because i will take U2417H as daily activities and some light gaming during leisure time . Game like CSGO or GTA5 . FYI , Im currently using Samsung TN panel with 60 hz , 5ms , 22 inch . Worth to upgrade to U2417H ?

The Dell UltraSharp are old now. But, keep in mind that buying an IPS monitor doesn't automatically yield accurate colors, you will need a calibration tool, and you will need to place the monitor in a room where the color temperature doesn't change overtime.

And, buying a cheaper IPS monitor and calibration tool is better than buying a more expensive IPS monitor and no calibration tool.

In my opinion the best deal on the market right now to reach accurate colors at a low cost.

https://www.amazon.com/Datacolor-S5P100-Spyder5PRO/dp/B00UBSL31Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466423442&sr=8-1&keywords=spyder+pro

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015WCV70W/ref=twister_B00UWMLSHU?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Now keep in mind that you only want to achieve accurate colors if your workflow demands it. Uploading videos to the web, be it YouTube is 100% a waste going with an accurate monitor. Less than 1% are going to view the content in perfect environments, and even then won't judge the videos' overall quality.

People are going to view it on phones, tablets, monitors, TV's, projectors in different environments. It even matters what web browser you use when displaying color on the screen.

Colorimeter, photometer and so on. They look at light and determine how accurate that light is. Consumers buy colorimeters of course, because they don't have a budget for the more accurate equipment. More often than not with a colorimeter, the graph is going to say it's accurate, but looking at it yourself it typically isn't.

So, therefore it's a gamble. I recommend not overpaying on a monitor however, because a better monitor even if calibrated won't yield better results. It's purely a time saver if you're a pro and making money off of your work.

Here's a calibration tool: https://www.amazon.com/Datacolor-S5P100-Spyder5PRO/dp/B00UBSL31Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466423442&sr=8-1&keywords=spyder+pro

And here's a guide of what they're supposed to do: http://www.xrite.com/colorimeter

Henry Foo

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
Ohh that is too advanced for me . I barely use it for photoshop or video editing . Daily activities and some light gaming is all what i do . So the colour accuracy not really in my concern as long as it can perform a better visual than TN panel . I hear a lot good review from Dell ultrasharp series . So is it really good compare to other ?

I think what you tend to get with dell is panel uniformity meaning if you bought 20 or 30 identical monitors & drop the same static image on there out of the box they would be 99.9999% indistinguishable from each other.
With Asus/aoc/viewsonic you'll get subtle differences (which can be corrected through the settings)

To a general consumer this makes no odds but it makes dell very very popular for business use with multiple displays.
Dell have the buying power to buy batches of panels in the tens of thousands at a time from Samsung which means they're going to be from the same production run the majority of the time.

Solution