Acer XB241H not showing 180hz in nvidia control panel (GTX 970 SLI)

AParsh135i

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
Hey TH forum,
I generally dont need help with stuff like this but i'm a little stumped right now.
I just bought an Acer Predator XB241H Monitor - which is a 24" 1080p monitor that features G-Sync and is native 144hz with overclocking to 180hz.

I've read through the manual and read around online. Some threads about different monitors said to install drivers, which were not included in the box. I did that, no luck.

My Setup:
i5-4590k (water cooled)
32gb
2x SSD Raid0
2x Galax GTX 970 4gb (water cooled)
Win 8.1 Pro
G-Sync turned on
SLI turned on

Driver is currently loaded and showing.
Monitor is in "game mode"
Overdrive option is set to "extreme"

Have restarted numerous times, no luck.

Any suggestions? I read in another forum that a user with a GTX 770 2gb was not able to do 144hz with a 27" acer @ 1440p...you'd think 2x GTX 970's would be able to do 180hz @ 1080p, right?

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks,
Alex

Solution
I have same monitor, you have to search a menu in monitor called " Over Clock", and then just simply choose overclock mode "on" and then select 180 hz and then reboot monitor. I hear that some monitor may not be able to clock 180hz but i'm not sure if its true or not.

msfexploit

Commendable
Apr 28, 2016
try actually going into the windows resolution window and see if you can change it there. And or sometimes graphics card software allows you to set fps or hz options which mess things up. Or try going into Nvidia and making a custom res with 180hz

AParsh135i

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
HI Msfexploit,
Thank you for your feedback. I tried both of these ideas. The nvdia custom area let me test 180hz but it would turn my monitor black, would not let me proceed to apply the setting.
Furthermore, i noticed it was odd that in those settings the panel was showing nvidia it was 166hz, not 180hz.
Not sure if that means anything?
Update: I just tried doing 166hz instead of 180hz and was not able to get my monitor off of "no signal" all black screen. Had to restart.

I'm not sure if i mentioned in the original post - I have G-Sync turned on and I'm in SLI mode. Do you think for some reason it cant do gsync and 180hz at the same time?

Paegetsu

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
I have same monitor, you have to search a menu in monitor called " Over Clock", and then just simply choose overclock mode "on" and then select 180 hz and then reboot monitor. I hear that some monitor may not be able to clock 180hz but i'm not sure if its true or not.

Solution

AParsh135i

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012

This was the answer. The menu is TERRIBLE. I mean it's gotta be the worst i've ever seen. Not user friendly at all. The buttons and what they do are confusing.

That being said i got everything working. If anyone else ever has this issue and lands here, best step by steps i can give below:
1. press the far left button of the 5 buttons on the monitor. This should bring up some options.
2. press the far right button until you get all the way to the last option to the far right which looks like a piece of paper or something like that.
3. select this option by pressing the middle key (there is no label that this key is the right one, but it is)
4. press the far right key to scroll down to the 4th down option which is a picture of a wrench
5. press the middle key to scroll to the right one
6. press the far right key to scroll down to the 5th option labelled "over clock" (lol)
7. press the middle key to scroll to the right which select the overclock menu
8. press the middle key on the first option "enable" which is defaulted to no. Then press the far right key select it to yes.
9. press the 2nd to the far left key to go back to the overclock menu now that you've selected yes.
10. Press the far right key to scroll down to "max refresh"
11. Press the middle key to select the overclock max refresh rate, press the middle key to scroll it right to 180, press the second to far left key to go back to the main overclock menu
12. Press the the far right key to go down to "apply & reboot", press the middle key to select it
*The monitor should now reboot, show a few different screens and then come back to desktop
13. Right click desktop background and select nvidia control panel (or open it any other way you want)
14. Select the Change Resolution option from the far left menu
15. From the refresh rate drop down select 180hz (it should be there now!)

For me G-sync is still selected too, i have yet to try playing a game though.