New Monitor Advice

Moocats

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2014
I do appreciate there are a lot of articles and questions on this subject and I have reviewed quite a bit of it.

The problem is there is just so much information I am finding it hard to disseminate what I need to know vs what I don't.

I'm not a computer novice but I don't have the time these days to keep up to date with tech information and it seems more prudent now to simply ask than spend countless more hours on research.

I'll start with what I have now and what I'm looking for (and what I'm not)

I recently replaced my older GPU with MSI's version of the R9 390X. This card is not capable of rendering old VGA which has made my second display no longer usable. This is fine as the panel wasn't working too well and would have needed replacing at some point.

At present I use a very old Acer LCD TN panel capable of rendering up to 1680x1024 with a refresh rate of 60. It works just fine and I plan to continue using this as my new second monitor.

Obviously this leaves the job of primary monitor vacant. With this new GPU I know I can move into better technologies than what I had been using previously.

I do game fairly frequently although not often in FPS games, but that said I do dabble and I'd love to experience options of more than 60 FPS. I had been trying to come up with 144hz options with this in mind and maybe even 1440p

As for size I do not want to go above 27". I had been using only 22" and due to space concerns 27" is pushing to the very edge of the size limit I can physically fit.

TN or IPS? Well having researched the subject I'm not actually sure what will suit me better. My eyes are quite sensitive to certain types of motion and blurring in particular. I find it physically uncomfortable that I need to disable motion blur, depth of field effects and any kind of camera shaking in games I do play. Knowing than TN panels are faster in this regard and I presume cheaper this seems more logical. However I know IPS has come along way in this so it may now be plausible to experience the more true color only available with IPS panels.

What I'm not looking for is the best if the best. I'm fed up of reviews complimenting panels that cost £400 or more. I simply can not and will not spend that, I don't care how good it apparently is. I know I don't need 4k right now or anything massive in screen size I just want better than 60fps gaming considering my graphics card. I'd like to try keep the cost under £200 too. I don't need the newest of the new and something that is a few years older is totally fine.

I'm hoping for advice on what's the best I can do with budget in mind or perhaps what's better but requires compromises. I'd rather try find out from people who actually know.

Solution

spagalicious

Distinguished
Solution

Moocats

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2014
Thanks so much for your response. £200 was just a ballpark and this seems like a great panel. Do you suppose there might be something similar in spec but smaller that may drop the cost somewhat?