Blue Screen of Death Windows 10

Dustin_22

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016
I recently built a gaming pc and I started getting blue screens. I need some help troubleshooting. I've formatted my SSD and did a clean install of windows 10. I downloaded all of the latest drivers. I'm still getting blue screens. Also i've attempted installed all of the w indows updates but either my pc has a problem installing updates or blue screen before they are complete. I was able to download WhoCrashed and I can see the Dump Files. 7 crashes.

BugCheck Name:
DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT

Also I don't know if it means anything but in safe mode I do not get blue screens.

Solution
Did you try using the other stick aswell? sorry for the late response, I found 3 generic reasons for the new bsod,
Boot volume corrupted
Corrupted files of your windows
Hdd got faulty
Can you still enter the bios?
You could try wiping your drive again but try to install another windows edition, like 7 or 8.
If it doesn't work your drive may be causing all of the issues... Do you have any spare drives you could try instead of your current one?

ailos

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014
Seems to be a hardware related problem of some kind, what are your specs and have you done anything in your bios like overclocking or changing any significant values?

Dustin_22

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016

I have the ASUS H170, I5-6600, asus gtx960, samsung ssd. corsair cx500.

It just ran long enough to update windows without a crash then another crash immediately after the updates.

ailos

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014
If you've got 2 ram sticks you can try and remove one and see if that solves the issue, if it doesn't try it the other way around. also, can you send me your dump files located in C:\Windows\Minidump?

Dustin_22

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016

I'll try doing that with my ram and see if it helps. I will also send you my dump files

Dustin_22

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016

when i attempt to open my mini dump files it says access denied

Dustin_22

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016

well after removing one stick of ram i was testing that to see if it solved the problem. i had another blue screen with the error code UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME.

PC will not boot. Attempted the startup repair and its telling me startup repair couldn't repair your PC

ailos

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014
Did you try using the other stick aswell? sorry for the late response, I found 3 generic reasons for the new bsod,
Boot volume corrupted
Corrupted files of your windows
Hdd got faulty
Can you still enter the bios?
You could try wiping your drive again but try to install another windows edition, like 7 or 8.
If it doesn't work your drive may be causing all of the issues... Do you have any spare drives you could try instead of your current one?

Solution

Dustin_22

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016

I did try the other stick and it didnt work. I used my usb that i installed windows with and reset windows. reinstalled graphics drivers and went an hour with no crashes. but then had the clock_watchdog_timeout. im going to attempt to get the minidump files

Dustin_22

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016

Hey I appreciate all of the advice that you gave me. I found a setting in my bios called Turbo Mode. It was on and it was running my i5-6600 at 3.30 GHz at all times. Then with a little load it was jumping to 3.76 GHz. With it turned off its now running .79GHz-2.5GHz with 1-5% utilization. I'm happy to say that its been hours without any crashes and I'm now installing my games again. Hopefully I'll put it under some stress with good results!