I don't get the option to connect to a domain on Windows 10

Mitchell_21

Commendable
Jun 19, 2016
I need to connect to a domain in order to access my college campuses Ethernet, I looked up a guide to do so but in each instance I was not even given the option to add a domain. How can I fix this?

Solution
people confuse joining a domain and connecting to a domain. They are two very different things.

-a windows 10 home machine can not join a domain, you would have to have the pro version or enterprise version to do that.
- a windows 10 home machine can connect to a domain

try this:
windows key+x, then type A

net.exe use * /d (this will delete all of your current network connections)
net.exe use \\computername\ipc$ /user:SchoolDomainName\YourUserName *

this will connect you to the servers interprocess communications share using the credentials provided to you by the school.
As long as you have this connection your machine will default to providing your schools domain, username and password
when it attempts...
people confuse joining a domain and connecting to a domain. They are two very different things.

-a windows 10 home machine can not join a domain, you would have to have the pro version or enterprise version to do that.
- a windows 10 home machine can connect to a domain

try this:
windows key+x, then type A

net.exe use * /d (this will delete all of your current network connections)
net.exe use \\computername\ipc$ /user:SchoolDomainName\YourUserName *

this will connect you to the servers interprocess communications share using the credentials provided to you by the school.
As long as you have this connection your machine will default to providing your schools domain, username and password
when it attempts to connect to anything.

\\ComputerName = the name of the server you want to access the two \\ are required as part of the server name.
School domain name = should be what ever domain the school uses
YourUserName = the userid that the school provided you
* - your password or a *, so it will prompt your for your password.

many schools will auto disconnect your connections after a short timeout.
net view /? can help you figure out what resources you can connect to.
(you can specify the domain)

note: after you make the IPC$ connection your machine will default to this credential and all of the normal windows UI should work with this domain.
You could also do the same thing with a server share on the domain.

Solution

you never know if the person is a student that wants to connect their comptuter
or staff that needs to have the admin allow his machine join the domain.
(windows home can not join)