1080p Monitor looks horrible in 900p, but fine at 720p

SlightlyEdible

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
I own this 1080p LED monitor: https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-GL2460HM-24-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00IKDFL4O/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

When playing at 1080p, all is well and expected.
If I lower it to 900p, the colors become all saturated and the screen looks blurred
Lowering the resolution further to 720p actually clears up any blur, and fixes issues with colors.
So 1080p = fine . 900p= blurry, over saturated mess . 720p= fine, just a lot of jaggies in games

Any clue why this is? I'm running an AMD graphics card with HDMI

Solution

Sorry, no idea about your first question. I know that interpolation is a thing, but that's about the extent of my knowledge. I wouldn't know what sort of interpolation a given monitor uses, nor how that interpolation would handle 1080->1440.

For your second question, in Radeon Settings, you can go to the Display tab and then set Scaling Mode to Center. This should disable any sort of interpolation and hopefully restore picture quality. The downside is that your effective screen size will be reduced, and you'll have black bars around the edge of the screen.

Any...

SlightlyEdible

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015

Question. If I ordered a 1440p monitor, would it do 1080p just fine?
Also, is their anything I can do in my Radeon Crimson settings to fix this problem with 1600x900p?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Sorry, no idea about your first question. I know that interpolation is a thing, but that's about the extent of my knowledge. I wouldn't know what sort of interpolation a given monitor uses, nor how that interpolation would handle 1080->1440.

For your second question, in Radeon Settings, you can go to the Display tab and then set Scaling Mode to Center. This should disable any sort of interpolation and hopefully restore picture quality. The downside is that your effective screen size will be reduced, and you'll have black bars around the edge of the screen.

Any particular reason you can't/don't want to run at native resolution?

Solution