Refresh rate, screen size, higher resolution? (Looking for new monitor)

I've been using an ASUS 23" LCD 1920x1080 60Hz for 6 years now and it is starting to have horizontal lines of light moving throughout it at times. I need/want a new LED monitor and I'm not sure what to get. I'll be using a Strix GTX 970.

Which upgrade would give better gaming experience? Obviously all three, but if that is too expensive which would you want?

Higher refresh rate: 144Hz
Bigger screen size: 27"
Higher resolution: 1440p or 2160p

I would actually like to have a 27" display at 1440p, but I would only get 60Hz if I stayed in my budget. Is 1440p that much better than 1080p? Is 144Hz that much better than 60Hz? Is 27" that much better than 23"? Is spending over $250 on a monitor worth it?

Solution
I would prefer the resolution change to 27" 1440p.
If you could get something with gsync that would be great for your 970.
both resolution or Hz would make you change some settings and honestly medium settings at 1440p would look very good compared to lower on 144Hz.
I play all types of games so it's really hard to decide. There's a point in time I'm playing and want at least one of each of the three. But having high refresh rate + high resolution is a bit much for a GTX 970 I think. Idk, it's like one upgrade only requires another until I've spent waay too much. I haven't actually played on high res or high refresh rate, so idk if it's worth it or not.

TheGreatTwat

Commendable
Aug 14, 2016
this isnt really an answer sorry, but with the refresh rate can you ever have to much of it, i read on another forum that the hdmi cable can only support up to 144ghz, is that true?

and this might help, but my laptop has a 4k screen and seem that most the games i play dont use its full resolution and if they do then everything is way to fucking small even though its defined might just be user error lol

frank_hnd

Honorable
I would prefer the resolution change to 27" 1440p.
If you could get something with gsync that would be great for your 970.
both resolution or Hz would make you change some settings and honestly medium settings at 1440p would look very good compared to lower on 144Hz.

Solution