Dual boot questions

AdrianVaughan

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2016
Hi. Am going to install Windows 7 and Windows 10 (Windows 7 as a fall back just in case) now I have a 120gb and 250gb SSD a 500gb and a 1tb HHD. Now I would like to ask where should I put what were....ie
* install to which drives
* should I partition them (if so to what size)
* page file ( not sure about this) something about putting it a different drive?
And any tips you could give.

Any info you can give would be really appreciated, no matter how big or small. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Use the 1tb for win 7 and make a 100GB partition for it. Install it first. The drive cannot be cleaned, you can also use the 500 GB one.
Then install W 10 on the 250 gb SSD and keep the 120gb one for extra games.
personally i would prefer to have the 7 in BIOS CSM mode, adn the 10 in uefi. Then i'd disable CSM in the BIOS and only activate it when i need to use the 7.

PanStef

Reputable
Apr 19, 2014
Here are some steps that i believe will give you the most put of your disks.
1. Install Windows 10 on that 120gb SSD, if you don't like it then install Windows 7 on this ssd, no need to have them dual boot since you are not going to be using both OSs. Use this drive for page file, actually this will happen automatically, you don't have to do something.
2. Use that 250gb SSD for programs or games that you wish to have faster loading times. I can't doubt that it may fit all of your programs and games in it
3. Use those other two HDDs for media purposes or things that can't benefit from ssd speeds or maybe back-ups.

This might help you: http://www.howtogeek.com/172545/7-tips-for-using-multiple-hard-drives-with-windows/

Use the 1tb for win 7 and make a 100GB partition for it. Install it first. The drive cannot be cleaned, you can also use the 500 GB one.
Then install W 10 on the 250 gb SSD and keep the 120gb one for extra games.
personally i would prefer to have the 7 in BIOS CSM mode, adn the 10 in uefi. Then i'd disable CSM in the BIOS and only activate it when i need to use the 7.

Solution