PC seemingly randomly shutting down with BSOD error(s). Cannot identify any hardware or software problems.

shanecb

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016
Hi all! New to the forum :). Thank you in advance for any help. Right now I'm completely lost on what my issue might be, or where to go from here. I will try to be as thorough as I can in my explanation of the problem, as well as the solutions I have already tried. :)

First, here is my setup:
- Windows 10 installed on a Sandisk Ultra II 120GB SSD
- Seagate Barracuda 1TBHDD for storage
- Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
- Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
- G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
- EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card
- SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

My PC was built at beginning of February and everything worked perfectly until about six weeks ago. While using the PC it would randomly crash (no pattern I can notice). If the setting to automatically reset on system failure is on, when booting back on I would get the "Reset and select proper Boot device" error, and it would boot up fine if I manually shut the PC down and turned it back on. If I turned off automatic reset, it would just sit at the BSOD with "Critical_Process_Died" until I turned it off and on, where it would boot up normally.

At this point I tried:
- Some obvious things like making sure everything was connected securely. Switched SATA cables/ports. Reseated the memory.
- Ran diagnostics on the SSD and HDD (both appeared to be in perfect health with multiple diagnostic tools)
- Tested the memory using the built-in Windows tool as well at Memtest (no errors noted)
- Checked my drivers, everything seemed to be current. There were no updates in Windows Update, either

I let the computer sit overnight in Safe Mode and it didn't crash, so at this point I thought it might be a software error. I wiped my boot drive and did a clean install with Windows 10 (not much data to lose). Then installed my MOBO drivers from disc, let Windows auto-update fully, and manually installed my GPU driver. It didn't crash for hours at a time and I assumed I'd fixed the problem. But, it began to crash randomly again after leaving the computer on for 8-12hrs.

Next steps:
- Used sfc /scannow. Found some corrupted files, but was unable to repair.
- Used DISM and my bootable Windows 10 USB install to try and fix any errors. Seemed to be successful, and sfc no longer finds any errors.
- For kicks, stress tested the GPU and it performed very well!

At the moment I'm now getting "Unexpected store exception" or "Critical Process Died" screens during a BSOD. I'm really unsure what to do at this point to identify what exactly the issue is. I would just assume the SSD is failing but with any utility I check it with there are no problems found. The S.M.A.R.T. values are also showing no problems. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm willing to start back at step one with the diagnostics and update as I check everything.

My brother told me about dump files during a crash, but I'm not able to get one to generate. The BSOD just sits for hours doing nothing until I manually reset.

Thank you again for any help! As a budding CS student, I'm looking forward to participating in the forum! :)

Solution
you have two old copies of this mouse filter driver installed.
ElcMouLFlt.sys Mon Oct 04 16:30:57 2010
ElcMouUFlt.sys Mon Nov 29 21:42:46 2010
it is listed as Kaspersky Lower Mouse Device Filter driver (listing does not sound correct)
there should not be two copies, and I would expect it just should not be there.
you will want to get rid of this software,

it is likely old software drivers for a USB mouse

hopefully there is a uninstall program for this in your windows control panel
or you will end up having to locate the entry in the registry using regedit the disable the starting of the driver.

-------------

you need to install your motherboard driver updates, the vendor put out these updates right after windows shipped...
google "how to force a memory dump using a keyboard" make the registry setting reboot and force a memory dump while the system is working ok.
put the memory dump from c:\windows\minidump directory on a cloud server like microsoft one drive, share it for public access and post a link.

I will take a quick look to see if I can find anything wrong with your working system.

generally, problems where a system will not produce a memory dump are:
- no space left on the drive
- drive went to sleep and will not wake up (firmware bug in the drive, bug in the driver for the sata, or bug in the BIOS)
you want to put your drive on the SATA controller/ port directly supported by the CPU chipset. (generally the slower controller, is less likely to have bugs in the driver)

- certain SSD problems can also cause the drive to not respond and cause a bugcheck.
- bad cables to a drive (bad connections)
- if you have a bios that has hotswap for your sata ports you might want to enable it, if a drive becomes disconnected for some reason it will allow it to be reconnected. (you still have to figure out why it disconnected but it would prevent a bugcheck)

you can also move your memory dump default location off of your C: drive to a secondary drive.

shanecb

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016

Hi, thank you so much for your reply! I Was able to make a dump file while the system was functioning normally, and have posted it here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvjxuTDZQNvma946l95XFz3xerw

I have also switched the dump file location to my storage drive, and hopefully if it crashes again today it will create a dump file there.

you have two old copies of this mouse filter driver installed.
ElcMouLFlt.sys Mon Oct 04 16:30:57 2010
ElcMouUFlt.sys Mon Nov 29 21:42:46 2010
it is listed as Kaspersky Lower Mouse Device Filter driver (listing does not sound correct)
there should not be two copies, and I would expect it just should not be there.
you will want to get rid of this software,

it is likely old software drivers for a USB mouse

hopefully there is a uninstall program for this in your windows control panel
or you will end up having to locate the entry in the registry using regedit the disable the starting of the driver.

-------------

you need to install your motherboard driver updates, the vendor put out these updates right after windows shipped.
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5346#dl
(select driver, windows 10 64 bit)

machine info:
BIOS Version F2
BIOS Release Date 08/10/2015
Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Product Name B85M-DS3H-A
Chassis Type Desktop
Processor Version Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz
Processor Voltage 8ah - 1.0V
External Clock 100MHz
Max Speed 7000MHz
Current Speed 3500MHz
memory (bank 1 and bank 3)
Size 4096MB
Speed 1600MHz

F3-12800CL9-4GBXL G. Skill ripjawx ddr3 gaming memory
timing should be 9-9-9-24-2N (note 2n command rate requirements, BIOS often have this incorrect)

Solution