PC Freezing: How to find if it is CPU or Motherboard?

PakBrain

Reputable
Feb 15, 2014
Built machine last week. Ran fine for 3 days then started throwing BSOD. Came to a point I could not even see first screen on fresh install of Windows. It kept throwing CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT, SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR, etc.

Then decided to give Ubuntu a try. Same thing: Installation starts then machine freezes within 2 minutes after restart in middle of install. Sometimes it does not even let the install begin. Keyboard becomes unresponsive with nothing else responding.

One thing that rings some bells is my son enabled RAID in BIOS but that was when we were building machine last week. It ran fine for 3 days after we did CMOS reset (Umper and Battery trick). PC ran fine for 3 days after that so my assumption is it is not relevant now.

I have removed/swapped H/W systematically. Had 2 sticks of RAM (8GB Each) that I removed one, swapped, from first bank to fourth. No luck. Removed all HDDs one by one including M.2 SSD. No luck. It even froze when I had Ubuntu installation running from USB (Flash) drive on to itself without any HDD. I have removed GPU (GTX 970 SSC) and reset BIOS several times ..

Reaching out to gurus for ideas .. Is this CPU? Motherboard? Something else? How can I figure it out? Please help!

Thanks!

EDIT: It was CPU it seems. When I change the CPU to single-core it works. 2, 3, and 4 cores all cause the same issue. Contacted the seller on eBay to get a replacement.