Blue Screen after Windows Update Hang, Can't Boot Now

MsRageQuit

Commendable
Jun 22, 2016
I'm running Windows 10, upgraded from Windows 7 off an SSD that's relatively new. Windows attempted to install an update but it ended up hanging on the same screen for way too long so I hard restarted it. Everything was going okay until the next day when my computer threw me a BSOD with the message Driver_Power_State_Failure. Then when I tried starting up again it would go into "Attempting repairs" forever.

So I put in a Windows 10 installation flash drive and went into repair/recovery. The only option i could get to work was command prompt, so I attempted sfc /scannow. SFC wouldn't start up. Nothing printed out and i just got a blinking cursor. Same thing happened when I plugged the SSD externally into another machine and tried to use sfc /scannow with offline boot directories specified. I didn't know what else to do so I put it back in and ran check disk and it found nothing wrong.

Is there anything else I can try to save this installation or should I just go ahead and reinstall Windows? All my important files are safe on my storage HDD.

Solution
I think easiest fix is a fresh install since you have it all backed up already, and the error is likely to have been caused by an old driver. If you can't boot its hard to figure out what is cause.

Fresh installs generally more stable than updates anyway

Disconnect the storage drive so win 10 won't put files on it (it has been known to put index on 2nd drives)
boot from installer and follow this: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

Colif

Win 11 Master
I think easiest fix is a fresh install since you have it all backed up already, and the error is likely to have been caused by an old driver. If you can't boot its hard to figure out what is cause.

Fresh installs generally more stable than updates anyway

Disconnect the storage drive so win 10 won't put files on it (it has been known to put index on 2nd drives)
boot from installer and follow this: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

Solution