Monitor Resolution: How much does it matter when it comes to gaming?

SoundFX09

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Hey Guys,

I'm asking this question due to the following facts:

I've been gaming for some time now on a Laptop that's running on a 1366x768 Monitor. (Again, I'm playing games that aren't very demanding [aka Team Fortress 2, Combat Arms, Emulators, and Freedom Planet].) And for the past 4-5 Years, this Laptop has served me well.

However, I am planning my first PC Build Very soon, and this presents a new problem. As much as I am used to playing at 1366x768, everyone seems to be making a lot of buzz about 1080p Gaming.

I plan to make my first PC my Primary Gaming/Video Editing/Streaming PC. I want it to stream in 720 or 1080p with no issues.

The Monitors I'm looking at are the following:

for 1366x768:
ASUS VS197D-P
ASUS VS197T-P
AOC E970SWN
(All are around $70-80).

For 1920x1080:
ASUS VP228H ($110)
ASUS VX228H ($120)
BenQ RL2455HM ($180)

All of these monitors have a refresh rate of 60Hz, but their response rates are different as well. (5ms for the 1366x768 Monitors, 1ms for the 1080p Monitors)

Which leads me to the question:

Is Upgrading to a 1080p monitor worth it for my first build? or is gaming at 1366x768 still a good option?

Also, Is there a major difference between a Monitor with a 5ms Response Rate to a Monitor with a 1ms Response rate or not?

I need to know, since I want to be able to construct my First PC within the coming year or two.

Any and All feedback is appreciated!

A lot of buzz about 1080p? What year is it? Even consoles are aiming for at least 900p and the majority of ps4 games running at 1080p. Those have been out for years though and being replaced soon so you'll be upgrading to last gen even with 1080p. With the nvidia 10 series and amd rx 400 series, we should see even mid range cards handle 1440p and top end hitting 4k. A year or two is a long time and those new consoles will be out and supposed to be 4k capable too. 4k will be even more possible in 2 years, that's 2 more gens of gpus.

SoundFX09

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Still, I prefer just getting 60 FPS Overall In Games over Resolution or how pretty the game looks. Yes, I am behind significantly when it comes to Computers and Monitors, but I am more of a Performance person over Quality.

However, I'm not looking to go beyond 1080p at this point since I don't really see the appeal of 4K or 1440p right now. (Not to mention, the extra amount of cash I'd have to throw out the door)

It's more of a reason to why would you even be thinking of sticking with 768p. You can get older gen gpus for $50 that can easily push 1080p/60. Newer gpus being able to do more means you can just go with lower end cheaper gpus to push 1080. Since people tend to keep monitors longer than other components, 1080 is still going to be the most common res for years.

Those monitors seem a bit higher price. You should be able to find a 24" closer to $130.

SoundFX09

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Likely it's due to me just being used to 768p. I'm not trying to justify 768p, It's just That's what I've been playing on for the past 5 Years.

I am looking at buying a RX 460 4GB Model for my system since I don't play any demanding games, and I would like to have a card that gives me the VRAM and Performance needed for Gaming, Video Editing, and Streaming. I am looking at the RX 470 and RX 480, though.

Also, the ASUS 228 Series of Monitors seem to make the most sense at $100-130 due to their 60 Hz Refresh Rates and 1ms Response Times. I'm no competitive Gamer, but I would like to see how a 1ms Response rates impacts the gaming quality overall.

Sorry for not responding in so long, other things have popped up in my schedule.

_MOJO_

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
I would personally recommend 1080 in your case. You will enjoy the additional screen real estate transitioning form 768p. Streaming will require a bit of horsepower, so you could invest a bit in your GPU. 60 hz means your GPU , no matter how powerful, will render 60 fps - a very "easy" job for a entry level GPU. 1 ms and 4 ms is practically impossible to measure- its fractions of a second. Also factor the input lag, latency, and rig capabilities and the performance gains/losses are nullified given the fact that you are gaming at 1080. Asus ROG Swift PG279Q is a Enthusdiast high-end 1440p IPS gaming monitor with a 4 ms response time- you will be fine with any 1080 choice you make ( I would personally go with the most affordable monitor) to invest into other aspects of your build components. You claimed you are "no competitive gamer" so unless you are playing FPS or racing sims where refresh rates are key to having an edge over your opponent- I would summarize this way:

Is Upgrading to a 1080p monitor worth it for my first build? or is gaming at 1366x768 still a good option?

No IMHO. 1080 is the across the board standard and you could scale it down if necessary for ideal streaming. Also, you will enjoy the extra screen real estate for a wider field of view and better overall experience.

Also, Is there a major difference between a Monitor with a 5ms Response Rate to a Monitor with a 1ms Response rate or not?

The difference hardly noticeable especially when you are talking 60 hz or 60 fps. You can definitely find a GPU for practically nothing that can rise to those expectations. Invest in the more affordable option.

Response times is useless, it makes no difference below 8ms or so for 60hz as it won't have ghosting issues. Do not confuse response times with input lag which still is not an issue on just about every monitor. For $100 you can find ips 23" 1080p and those gpus will easily push 1080 so why not?

SoundFX09

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

I did not realize this. My assumptions about Response times are wrong. I'm considering a 60-75Hz Monitor with a 5ms Response Rate then, since most monitors on the markets are around 5ms. However, Will the Extra 15Hz/FPS be noticable in Gameplay or no, it would have to be a substantially larger number, like 60-120?

I would personally recommend 1080 in your case. You will enjoy the additional screen real estate transitioning form 768p. Streaming will require a bit of horsepower, so you could invest a bit in your GPU. 60 hz means your GPU , no matter how powerful, will render 60 fps - a very "easy" job for a entry level GPU. 1 ms and 4 ms is practically impossible to measure- its fractions of a second. Also factor the input lag, latency, and rig capabilities and the performance gains/losses are nullified given the fact that you are gaming at 1080. Asus ROG Swift PG279Q is a Enthusdiast high-end 1440p IPS gaming monitor with a 4 ms response time- you will be fine with any 1080 choice you make ( I would personally go with the most affordable monitor) to invest into other aspects of your build components. You claimed you are "no competitive gamer" so unless you are playing FPS or racing sims where refresh rates are key to having an edge over your opponent- I would summarize this way:

No IMHO. 1080 is the across the board standard and you could scale it down if necessary for ideal streaming. Also, you will enjoy the extra screen real estate for a wider field of view and better overall experience.

The difference hardly noticeable especially when you are talking 60 hz or 60 fps. You can definitely find a GPU for practically nothing that can rise to those expectations. Invest in the more affordable option.

I appreciate the Feedback, both of you. I'll likely look at the RX 470 or 480 then. I need the best performance possible to get me streaming without eating my wallet.

Also, will the refresh rate make a substantial impact either? I am looking at maybe some 75hz monitors Unless the difference between 60 & 75Hz is not substantial.

_MOJO_

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
60 hz and 75 hz is like the difference between 144 hz and 165 hz - none whatsoever IMHO. Definitely go with the more affordable.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

first , pick up only IPS monitors and Avoid TN ones .

Second 4-6 ms is still good for gaming , you dont need 1ms .. input Lag is also important , you will find 4ms IPS monitors have better input lag than 1ms monitor ... so it is a mixed bag.

as for resolution , depending on your budget get the Highest ... ven 4K if you can .. or 1440P

after a year or two most of the people will be gaming on 1440P and leaving FHD

_MOJO_

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014

Agreed. IPS panels wins across the board with 99% color accuracy, deep color saturation especially blacks and darkker colors in addition to better viewing angles. TN panels tend to look "washed out" with deep black colors looking gray. Darker games like Alien Isolation/Batman for instance leave a lot to be desired on a TN panel. I actually purchased the ROG Swift TN panel initially and exchanged it for the IPS version; I never regretted that decision.

Disagree, cheap ips is the same color gamut as good tn. There are some with less than 90% srgb. I'd take va over ips or tn. You can only mention ips being better color if you are talking at least true 8 bit. Ips glow ruins darker colors and black and va is going to be better blacks and contrast than anything except oled.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

and who compares cheap with expensive anyways ? how about cheap IPS vs Cheap TN ? IPS will always win.

I never said expensive, if you look at the same budget, that's good tn vs cheap ips. You go up higher to the $700 range than they are still not going ahead in color just like with the pg278q and pg279q. Closest you'll get with tn vs ips and color is nearly the same. Overall it wins but imo, ips glows ruins it and if I was spending that much money, I'd go va. Actually even for cheaper monitors, I'd still be looking at va.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

well it is not like this actually , I think one should say pay little more for IPS , you will never regret it .

IPS comes at little extra money but is worth every penny ...

VA are better at text clarity and are also good but for Colors pick IPS ..

No one needs the high end ips true 8 bit or 10 bit for color accuracy except a few people. And you can find va with just as much adobe rgb coverage. Have you ever owned a 10 bit monitor? Have you ever had va? It's a waste of money in a home setting. Va looks better with its higher contrast and better blacks. There's no need for that kind of color gamut when it doesn't matter. He's looking at monitors no where near that range anyways.

SoundFX09

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
I appreciate the Feedback from all of you guys.

However, my brother was kind enough to let me have his old Samsung S20D300H Monitor. It is not a 1080p Monitor (1600X900 Resolution), but it does have a 60 Hz Refresh rate and 5 ms Response Rate, which is fine enough for my needs.

Therefore, I will take notes from this thread for my Future Needs, should I look to upgrade in the Future.

Thanks to all,
- SoundFX09 -