Xbox 360 controller causes stuttering and lag when playing some games. As soon as I touch my kb/m it's fine

matrodriguez

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
Hey Everyone,

As my title suggests, whenever I am playing a game on my PC with my xbox360 controller the game will be fine and smooth for about 5 minutes and then I begin to get some huge frame rate losses and stuttering.

The weird thing is, as soon as I pick up my keyboard & mouse the game is back to running smooth with no issues whatsoever.

This primarily happens while playing Rocket League. It's possible for me to play with a kb/m, but I like the way a controller feels much better.

I think this might be the software that is running the Xbox360 controller, but I'm not sure. Temps don't read anything weird and as soon as I switch to keyboard and mouse it's as if there was never a problem.

My PC setup is as follows:

i7-3930k OC @ 3.8
EVGA 970 SSC
16GB Ram
1TB WD Black
H100i cooling

I am using the only drivers available on the Microsoft website for the Xbox 360 and I have reinstalled these drivers a few times now. Maybe I should install the XBone controller drivers and that will fix it? I have no idea.

Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated. If you have ever heard of this before with a quick driver/software fix, please let me know!

Solution
There's the new Anniversary update. From what I've seen, Windows 10 and the XBox One controller don't work well together because something got messed up. The 360 still has the best plug and play option from what I gather. http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016/08/xbox-one-controllers-and-windows-10-pcs-its-all-a-mess-right-now/

Are you using a wired controller or a wireless? When I got mine I didn't have to install any drivers manually, it was automatic (and just worked).

Also, have you checked whether the games you play have issues with controllers? (You never know.) Or very sensitive to other things? (I get frame rate losses in Ultra Street Fighter IV by having a browser window open on the desktop. All open windows have to be...

pcbrand

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Hi OP - were you ever able to solve this issue?

I am seeing the same issue with a Logitech Gamepad (Rumblepad 2 - wired) and using x360ce drivers.
Games that used to work fine before suddenly started showing the same behavior.

To elaborate, the game would play fine for a while with the gamepad and then will just stall. As soon as the mouse is moved the game is back to normal. This will repeat every few minutes.

I tried to remove many drivers (Gamepad drivers, HDMI drivers, Sound Drivers, etc.) but same behavior.

I have an Asus G751 with an Nvidia 980M, which usually plays everything at max settings without any issues.

Since this setup used to work fine on my rig, the only frequently updated drivers are the Nvidia ones - so I am suspecting this is caused by the latest batch of Nvidia drivers, but not sure how far back this behavior started, I tried the driver released in July and June but it shows the same behavior - perhaps the pre-May drivers will work..

matrodriguez

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

Just saw this. So I didn't a recent driver update along with an OS update and it fixed the problem somewhat. (I haven't gamed enough recently to be able to tell, but I'll check tonight)

Try updating to most recent drivers and then reinstalling OS. I'll update tonight

pcbrand

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Just an update for this - after updating the drivers and eliminating the sleep mode on my USB devices, the gamepad worked great - until about last week.

The problem now seem to have come back and I am completely lost as to the cause. I have not added/changed anything on the system other than regular MS updates that happen automatically. In fact, the game my kids were playing worked fine last week and started having the above issues on the weekend. I tried a few other games and they all now have the above freeing problem... Touching the mouse or keyboard brings everything back to smooth motion for a while and then the slow-mo again.

Did Microsoft send a new Windows 10 update lately?

There's the new Anniversary update. From what I've seen, Windows 10 and the XBox One controller don't work well together because something got messed up. The 360 still has the best plug and play option from what I gather. http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016/08/xbox-one-controllers-and-windows-10-pcs-its-all-a-mess-right-now/

Are you using a wired controller or a wireless? When I got mine I didn't have to install any drivers manually, it was automatic (and just worked).

Also, have you checked whether the games you play have issues with controllers? (You never know.) Or very sensitive to other things? (I get frame rate losses in Ultra Street Fighter IV by having a browser window open on the desktop. All open windows have to be minimised at the very least for good frame rates for me.)

I was also going to suggest running scannow from the command prompt to check for corrupt files, but lost the thread I used for it....

Solution