Win10 won't upgrade from Win7. Downloads, restarts, but doesn't install.

whitenack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2012
I've upgraded several machines to win10 and had a few issues but never had this. The machine sees there is a win10 upgrade available, downloads the upgrade, prompts for a reboot, but after the reboot, it doesn't try installing win10 it just boots back up to win7. No error messages or dialogue boxes

Any thoughts?

I have win10 install iso file on a usb key, which I could install a fresh copy, but I don't really want to install all the programs again and I also wonder about activation. How will it activate w10 from 17 if I do a clean install?

Solution
I will try the following first.
Make sure you have your reserved partition greater than the default 100MB that Windows 7 creates. You can use different tools to make this partition something like 300MB. Then try to upgrade to Windows 10.

Davesdream

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
I will try the following first.
Make sure you have your reserved partition greater than the default 100MB that Windows 7 creates. You can use different tools to make this partition something like 300MB. Then try to upgrade to Windows 10.

Solution

MSOURCE

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016

MSOURCE

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016
I have a new Dell that came with Win7 - big memory. Mine upgraded to Win10 - it was very slow - did not enjoy it , but it finally worked. It selected my ADMIN account by default, and would not let me out of it until it finished. Main reason I upgraded was the DOCUMENTS issue - Win10 has just one DOCUMENTS link. Dell told me the easiest way to access DETAIL VIEW is to click "Documents" in the column on LEFT side of screen.