pc doesnt start after connecting hdd

Hairyhamster

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
so my fathers pc broke down and i connected his hdd to my pc to get some files he needed to keep and put then onto my ssd. which worked. i then disconnected the hdd and tried to start my pc again but i get a blue screen and windows gives me recovery options. i decided to do a reset but it crashes at around 50%. i have no idea what caused this and no idea how to fix it. i tried to put windows10.iso on an usb to reinstall windows 10 but it just says 'non-system disk or disk error' . any help?

Solution
try to run chkdsk on each partition of the drive and then try the bootrec commands again.
so boot up to a command prompt and run
chkdsk c: /f
and do this for each drive letter you have assigned.
I think that sometimes a partition can filesystem can be in a invalid state and be marked as RAW
and the system can think it is not formated. I could also happen if your drive used some 3rd party partition manager software.
--------------
(main point in this case is to use diskpart.exe command to see if a partition is listed as RAW, it could mean that the file system needs repaired, or you have a 3rd party partition, or a raid partition without the raid driver installed, you can also see the drive letter assignments, and re assign them if...
when you plug in a second drive with a active boot partition, windows will try to resolve it with your current drive and its current active boot partition.
it does this by reassigning the logical drive letters to the drive.
when you pull out the second drive, the logical drive letters are not assigned back to the original order.

so your boot loader will be looking for c:\windows as your root to your windows drive but the actual drive will have been assigned a different drive letter.
like d:
you have to fix the drive assignments,

normally I would boot on a repair disk and run the diskpart.exe commands but it is hard to explain so just try this:
(run all 4 commands and try to boot back up on your system)

bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /fixboot
bootrec.exe /scanOS
bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/command-prompt-fix-issues-your-boot-records

Hairyhamster

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015

when i choose my ssd as boot device it says:an operating system wasnt found. even though i installed windows on this drive. when i select my hdd i get the blue screen and the trouble shooting options. should i start from my hdd and get into the cmd?

Hairyhamster

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015

so i booted from my hdd and went into the cmd, all the commands were succesfull accept the scanOS. i says there arent any windows installations. the same is with the rebuildbcd command, no installed windows os

fuck, i booted from my fathers hdd so i could see if there were still files on my ssd. there were but i couldent put any files on it or alter them. so i went to the properties of the drive and extra and ran the error control thing. the firdt option didnt work so i used the 2nd otion as instucted. now the drive doest show how much storage is used and i cant acces it anymore. it justr says access denied. and were it used to say how much stirage was left it now says NTFS. what now

try to run chkdsk on each partition of the drive and then try the bootrec commands again.
so boot up to a command prompt and run
chkdsk c: /f
and do this for each drive letter you have assigned.
I think that sometimes a partition can filesystem can be in a invalid state and be marked as RAW
and the system can think it is not formated. I could also happen if your drive used some 3rd party partition manager software.
--------------
(main point in this case is to use diskpart.exe command to see if a partition is listed as RAW, it could mean that the file system needs repaired, or you have a 3rd party partition, or a raid partition without the raid driver installed, you can also see the drive letter assignments, and re assign them if you need to )
you can try and google about the diskpart.exe command, and use it to show the state of each disk and partition.
it is kind of hard to explain so look at the help files http://www.computerhope.com/diskpart.htm

something like this:
diskpart.exe
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
list volume
help (will show the list of commands)list

here is what my diskpart command shows

Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.10586

Copyright (C) 1999-2013 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: WIN81DOG

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
Disk 0 Online 465 GB 0 B

DISKPART> list volume

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
Volume 0 E DVD-ROM 0 B No Media
Volume 1 System Rese NTFS Partition 350 MB Healthy
Volume 2 C NTFS Partition 464 GB Healthy System
Volume 3 NTFS Partition 450 MB Healthy Hidden

DISKPART> exit

Leaving DiskPart...

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

this shows I have 2 drives volume 0 is a dvd player assigned drive letter E:
the second is my solid state drive, it has 3 partitions on it
the first and last are small (350 MB and 450 mb) I think there is the system boot loader on them and maybe a second boot loader from the a different windows install (should not be there but I did not know until just now, I would think it was a bug during BETA)
the second volume is assigned drive c: and has my windows directory on it.

Solution

Hairyhamster

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015

the hdd of my father now wont boot anymore, i get to the trouble shooting options and ran the chkdsk command for f drive. not sure what to do now. ran the bootrec commands, same results on f drive and c drive

thanks or the help, did a clean install of windows via an usb and formatted the entire ssd, most of my files were on my hdd anyway