Just certified for the A+, not sure what the next step is

notasandwich

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
I just recently passed the 220-802 and am now A+ certified. I am not sure what I can use this certification for other then filling out my resume and I am not sure what other kinds of certifications I should try to study for next that would compliment what I learned by studying for the A+

I am currently employed in a help desk position but it is only part time. I've been trying to get certified to improve my chances of being hired in a full time IT position. I do have an Associates in networking but I am very much out of practice in the material so taking the CCENT or Networking+ would probably not be a good idea just yet.

My question is what kind of certification am I better off studying for next given my networking degree and the fact that I want something that would build off of what I learned in the A+ and not make the many hours I spent studying for it be pointless? In terms of a career path I am leaning more towards the networking side but if something like an MCSA is better for someone who just spent several months studying for the A+ then I am willing to consider it

Solution
I am in a similar situation, but instead of getting a IT job like I wanted, I got a job at Aero communications incorporated. I the Reading/ Harrisburg area we contract for Comcast. The job does not deal with sub-neting. The most technological job for a cable installer is troubleshooting, figuring out the best split configurations far a homes needs and what comcast lines give us. I have been spending this week doing this cable math. The job can be financially rewarding, but I don't want to stay in this $40,000 job installing cable. There is room to travel around in the company and do wireless and fiber optic installation. With xfinity security systems there is also a lot of room for improvement. Learning active directory with your MCSA...

jbaker22

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
I am in a similar situation, but instead of getting a IT job like I wanted, I got a job at Aero communications incorporated. I the Reading/ Harrisburg area we contract for Comcast. The job does not deal with sub-neting. The most technological job for a cable installer is troubleshooting, figuring out the best split configurations far a homes needs and what comcast lines give us. I have been spending this week doing this cable math. The job can be financially rewarding, but I don't want to stay in this $40,000 job installing cable. There is room to travel around in the company and do wireless and fiber optic installation. With xfinity security systems there is also a lot of room for improvement. Learning active directory with your MCSA could be useful for server administration. That also is interesting as the world becomes more reliant on the cloud. I will warn you that Aero is a full time job that will take up most of your free time, so you will need to take online classes like I do now.

Solution