Trial £600-budget gaming desktop PC build. Thoughts?

ashim8813

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
I'm looking to build my first gaming desktop PC after having used laptops for several years now. The budget I'm working with is around 600-650 GBP, with an aim to be able to play games at one notch below their highest (ultra) graphical settings at the least, or perhaps even one notch below that if my budget isn't enough. To make this simpler to understand consider the following generic graphical settings: Low, Medium, High, Ultra. My target is a PC that can at least run games at High for current games at a consistent 60 FPS (or more) frame-rate (nothing ridiculous like a fully-modded Skyrim, standard things like Overwatch, Dota 2, FFXIV, etc.), and possibly even for games a year or two down the line.

Here's a draft build I've made with reference to Logical Increments: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bjHTWX

I would highly appreciate any feedback and suggestions ^_^
Additionally, I wanted some advice on how to go about actually physically building the PC itself, especially since I have never done this before. Is it something I can do by myself? Should I get a third party to do it for me? I'm moderately tech savvy, even if I haven't actually built anything, and I'm certainly enthusiastic! :D

Thanks in advance! :)

kraken501

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
hii, nice pc setup you got here. Games like Skyrim, overwatch, dota etc will run very smooth on this pc.
although the power supply is a bit overkill. a 500W i more then enough for this setup. The gtx 960 is a good mid range GPU.
all in all a pretty decent gaming pc.

I would decrease the RAM (which won't affect gaming) and use the savings to upgrade the CPU and upgrade the MB to one with the ALC 1150 codec for upgraded sound.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£161.08 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.Sniper B7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£75.48 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£18.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£39.00 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card (£145.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 ATX Mid Tower Case (£54.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£59.99 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£12.37 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
Monitor: Hannspree HE225DPB 21.5" Monitor (£73.96 @ More Computers)
Total: £641.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-24 03:22 BST+0100

How to Build a Computer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIF43-0mDk4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zAdwedmj1M

ashim8813

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012

Thanks for your reply Bearmann (and sorry for the late response! I thought I'd get an email notifying me!), I appreciate the help! It's just that these days browsers (essentially Chrome) voraciously take up a lot of RAM, making it difficult to run a browser and play a game at the same time without suffering FPS drops (which is what happens on my Lenovo Y580). Wouldn't it be good, in the long run, to have a higher amount of RAM? Just wondering :)

Also, while I'm asking, I wanted to know, now with new graphics cards being announced, whether it is worth swapping my GTX 960 for a GTX 1060 or a AMD Radeon RX 480? Thanks in advance ^_^

P.S., here's my pcpartpicker list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Z99BPs , it appears I forgot to put a fan in the original one. The fact that it currently sits at 700GBP does mean it's quite a stretch. If there's a way to bring the cost down (wishful thinking incoming) and potentially get more bang for my buck, would love to hear suggestions! :)

Yes, I've heard that Chrome sucks up a lot of RAM. Nothing wrong with 16GB, I'm just trying to get the most for your budget. You can drop the Hyper 212 EVO as the i5 6400 or i5 6500 each come with a stock cooler. Yes, upgrades to the RX 480 or GTX 1060 would be excellent.

TRENDING THREADS