Need urgent help. In the process of backing up pictures with W10 file manager...

logan832

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
I copied all the files from the DCIM folder to a portable hard drive. Everything copied over, but it started to lag really bad. Someone all the ones I copied over got deleted, and now there are no folders or files at all when I click the phone in the file explorer. However, while the phone is still plugged in I do see all the pictures are in tact on the phone. I am very afraid to unplug it though, due to all the files from the phone being seemingly gone in the file explore.

Almost had a heart attack there, as I am backing all this up for my mother who will be upgrading her phone. We are talking about 4,000 pictures spanning back years...

What can I do at this point to make sure nothing gets deleted? Risk unplugging the phone considering I can still view everything on the phone?

Solution

If all you did was COPY, they should, in theory, still exist on the phone.

logan832

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

Ok, I will do that. However, I am afraid to disconnect because on the computer all the backup files I copied are gone, and there is nothing in the phone folder (but I can see everything on the phone itself). If I disconnect, everything wont disappear on the phone you think?

USAFRet

Titan

If all you did was COPY, they should, in theory, still exist on the phone.

Solution

juannfox

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016

I agree with USAFRet here, it's not like the phone is gonna let you check out 4 thousand pics just from ram/cache right? Just download a file explorer for the phone (or use the default one) and go to camera/dcim folder and see if the files are there; if they are, then there's no risk in unplugging at all, the files are in the phone and it's your windows explorer that lagged out.-