BSOD with no memory dump

Smankusors

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016
Guys, help!
I don't know what's happen...

At the first, my computer hangs around 2 seconds, randomly. Usually when I playing videos.
Then for another random time, my computer hangs for more than 3 seconds, then shows BSOD, and immediately restart (no dumping or whatsoever).

It is weird, usually if I'm restarting my computer, the power light still on. But on this case, my computer restarted with power light off, and then on again
After that, the BIOS shows me which drives to boot. It is weird, usually it just go to the boot menu, not selecting which drives to boot.

Any ideas?

Btw if you ask what my computer :
ASUS X450JB
Intel Core i7-4720HQ
Nvidia GT940M
RAM 8GB
HDD 1TB
SSD 120GB

Oh yeah, it's also happen on my other laptop, ASUS X450JF, same specs (just not CPU and GPU), just... it is not immediately restart.

Thanks,
Smankusors

Solution
Win 10 won't use the page filo unless you use more than 8gb of ram and need the extra ram. It tries to keep everything you run during day in ram so it starts faster. Limiting its page file to 400mb means it will run out of ram and give low memory errors. easest way to avoid the errors is buy more ram then your PC will never need to use page file and you can leave it at default

I have system managed Page file, 16gb in size yet it only ever uses 1gb at most. with 16gb of ram I never use all of it so it doesn't need to be paged out.

Also, 120gb ssd is getting a little small to run win 10 on, better off with 250gb (or more) and then you won't feel so squashed. Use the 120gb for games or something.

Smankusors

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016
I will type it if I can see it
unfortunately it is not. It is so fast that I can't see what error it is.
Btw, the first time this happen was OSOD (Orange Screen of Death), and that is too fast to see what error it is
Now it is BSOD. Weird tho

Hello again Smankusors

In the meantime, can you please try Restoring Your Windows 10 to the time when you believe it worked fine? Trying the SFC /SCANNOW Command would be of some help too.

If none of the above solutions work, your last resort would be to Reset Your Windows 10 to Factory Defaults (without removing your personal files).

All this can be avoided, or at least reduced to minimum if we can have the exact BSOD.

Cheers!! :)

Smankusors

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016
ok going for sfc scannow.
Btw... I'm curious about this... Because it is happens on my other laptop ASUS X450JF (yeah same series, different generation tho)
I think this is... kind of.... hardware bug? That they didn't fix it yet on latest gen X450JB? :ouch:

Smankusors

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016
Btw, I found something corrupt when sfc scannow...

Windows.UI.Logon.pri must be I'm altered the login background
So I think it must be opencl.dll I suppose... But how to fix this?

Smankusors

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016
Dang, I got a BSOD while playing a game ;_;
Again, no dumping, but I see something... DRIVER_IRQL_blablabla
Looks like DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Unfortunately I can't see which driver is causing it

EDIT : It is... super weird, after automatic restart from BSOD, my built-in speaker and mic missing on playback and recording devices. But shows a new device, it is Realtek Digital Output... Weird.
After I restarted my laptop normally, my speaker and mic back

Colif

Win 11 Master
If SFC couldn't fix the corruption, try this

run this in Command Prompt with admin rights (copy/paste it as spacing is important)
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

visit Asus support site for laptop and make sure you have latest win 10 drivers for your hardware, especially for the realtek audio.

Smankusors

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016
DISM stuck at 40% :'(
I already using latest drivers from ASUS. Should I take the latest drivers from each manufacturer? ._.

Smankusors

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016
uh oh damn wrong button. Not the best solution >.<
It happens 2 times I clicked wrong button >.<"

Anyway, I forgot to tell something. Yeah if I can found something on Event Logs, I will tell you, but no... Nothing on event logs that related with random BSOD. Just... unexpected shutdown
I tried with crash test from WhoCrashed, it did have memory dumps, it did have Event Logs
But this random BSOD.... It isn't... no dumps, no logs....

Colif

Win 11 Master
If DISM is freezing, the answer appears to be run it with a different source

Download win 10 ISO from here: Win 10 media creation tool (to get ISO simply tell it you want to make a DVD)

Mount it in File explorer: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3579-iso-img-file-mount-unmount-windows-10-a.html

run this in an command prompt with admin rights

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess
Where "X" is the drive letter where the ISO is located. Simply change the "X" to the correct drive letter

Now if that still fails, I would do a fresh install of win 10 using the ISO you downloaded as DISM cleans the image that Reset would use to reinstall Win 10.

Smankusors

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016
returns an error
Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.
I already tried Win10_1511_1_English_x64.iso and Win10_1511_2_English_x64.iso, weird... something goes wrong
I don't have the original Win10_1511_English_x64.iso, I only have the updated one (or two?) ._.
I also tried to mount the WIM, still cannot find the sources, what's wrong .-.

I don't... want... to reinstall.... First, it is happen on my other laptop. Second, I already clean installed Windows several times.

Smankusors

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016
Well it is still BSOD! sfc and dism said there's no corruption...
Before BSOD, my laptop lags for more than 3 seconds.
Usually, my laptop likes to lags randomly, but if it is lags more than 3 seconds, BSOD occur.
And I can't find any memory dump related with BSOD...

Smankusors

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016

I don't see anything... useful before BSOD happen at 18:47

Colif

Win 11 Master
follow this to make win 10 create memory dumps on BSOD: http://mywindowshub.com/how-to-configure-windows-10-to-create-dump-files-on-bsod/

that will create a file in c/windows/minidump
copy the file to another location
upload the copy (Not original) to a cloud server and share link here.

Smankusors

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016
You can simply right click and open image in new tab :)

Nevermind, I will write that below :
18:48:26 The previous system shutdown at 18.34.10 on ‎31/‎07/‎2016 was unexpected.
18:48:20 The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
18:48:20 The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device ROOT\WPD\0000.
18:48:36 The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}
and APPID
{9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE SID (S-1-5-20) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

I previously use that default settings, no memory dump.
Then I configured that, still no memory dump. :(

Colif

Win 11 Master
There are several reasons why the Memory.dmp file is not being created when your computer encounters a STOP message:
The Memory.dmp file already exists and the option Overwrite Any Existing File (found in Control Panel System) is not selected. It is a good idea to leave this box checked and to move or copy the current Memory.dmp file.

The paging file on the boot drive is not large enough. To use the "Write Debugging Information To" feature to obtain a complete memory dump file, the paging file on the boot drive must be at least as large as physical memory + 1 MB. When you create a kernel memory dump file, the file is usually around one-third the size of the physical memory on the system. Of course, this quantity will vary, depending on your circumstances.

The paging file is not on the %systemroot% partition. When the STOP error occurs, the system crash dump is written out to the pagefile on the root of the %systemroot% drive.

There is not room for the Memory.dmp file in the path specified in Control Panel for writing the memory dump.

It is possible that the SCSI controller is bad or the system crash is caused by a bad SCSI controller board.

If you specify a non-existent path, a dump file will not be written. For example, if you specify the path as C:\Dumpfiles\Memory.dmp and no C:\Dumpfiles folder exists, a dump file will not be written.

Note The administrator can configure the computer to generate system event log and to send alerts to specific computers or users upon a system crash. This is a very useful feature of Windows for monitoring systems for system crashes when away from computers and when system configured for automatic reboot.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/130536

Smankusors

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016
1. Overwrite Any Existing File selected
2. My pagefile set at 400MB, is that isn't enough? BSOD also occur when I left it "System Managed"
3. The pagefile at C:\, and it is %SystemRoot% partition
4. Currently I got 50GB free space at the %SystemRoot% partition
5. It could be... It could be ASUS give me 2x broken motherboard... Is that coincidence?
6. I specify existent path

Colif

Win 11 Master
changing page file won't fix the bsod but it will let you create minidumps so we can figure out cause of errors :)

You need more than 400mb, since you have 8gb of ram. win 10 uses ram differently so some of your bsod could be from running out of resources. We shall see.

Smankusors

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016
argh not my SSD :'(
Btw... When I running Windows using HDD, I let it System Managed... Still no memory dump
So you say that Windows is not smart enough to manage the pagefile size?
And I need to set the pagefile manually at 16GB? o_O"

OK... Here is something interesting! When.... my RAM used by Premiere, Photoshop, games, at once, and my RAM usage at 75%. Windows shows low memory notification, and killing my Intel HD memory. When Intel HD unable to recover, BSOD occur. And that's, with 400MB pagefile, the "memory dump created".

Also, I tried manually BSOD the system with WhoCrashed. And yeah "memory dump created"

Colif

Win 11 Master
Win 10 won't use the page filo unless you use more than 8gb of ram and need the extra ram. It tries to keep everything you run during day in ram so it starts faster. Limiting its page file to 400mb means it will run out of ram and give low memory errors. easest way to avoid the errors is buy more ram then your PC will never need to use page file and you can leave it at default

I have system managed Page file, 16gb in size yet it only ever uses 1gb at most. with 16gb of ram I never use all of it so it doesn't need to be paged out.

Also, 120gb ssd is getting a little small to run win 10 on, better off with 250gb (or more) and then you won't feel so squashed. Use the 120gb for games or something.

Solution