Help in choosing a monitor

sheerb

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016
Hey all,
I'm getting a brand new gaming desktop from scratch and need a good monitor to go with it.
The purpose is gaming only. I've read up on types of screens, resolutions and refresh rates but have no experience.

I'm going for the following spec:
- Intel Core I7 6700K 4.0Ghz 8MB Cache s1151 - Tray
- either the GTX 980 TI or the GTX 1070
- Samsung EVO 250GB SSD
- MOBO: Asus b150m-c LGA1151 DDR4
- Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 2400Mhz CL16

My main concern is that the monitor should not be the bottle neck of this computer.
On the other hand, if this build is overkill and that means getting a much more expensive monitor, to get the best out of this build, I'd prefer to cut down on the build instead..
If anyone has an opinion regarding the GPU I'd be happy to hear it!

Also, if anyone would like to share whether the jump from a 60mhz monitor to a 120mhz or 140mhz is noticeable and worth it, that would be great!
Thanks in advance for your help!

sheerb

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016
Hi Suzuki, thanks for the reply!

Why is the I7 a waste in your opinion? I thought it to be the best CPU. Value-wise, I would opt for the Intel Core I5 6500 3.2Ghz 6MB Cache s1151 - Tray but comparison sites seemed to show the I7 is worth the difference.

I've never over clocked anything in my life and so am thinking of keeping it simple unless it's a one time change that's kinda "do and forget". I don't know how to mess around with BIOS.

If you can recommend a different mobo I'd be happy to hear of it.

I don't have a particular PSU in mind. Was thinking of any gold rated 650-700W, no particular brand.
Same goes for the case - no particular preference and would be glad to receive recommendations.

currency is NIS (Israeli currency) unfortunately, everything is MUCH more expensive here. For instance, the EVGA GTX980 Ti ACX 2.0 SC+ 6GB Backplate GDDR5 goes on Amazon for about 470$ which is 1,826 NIS, but it is sold here for 3,100 NIS which is roughly 797$ :(
I'd say between 2,000$-2,500$ is my budget.

OS - windows 8.1 or 10 64bit

These are the 2 sites I'm considering: both have an English language icon at the top
https://www.tms.co.il/
http://en.ksp.co.il/

Generally speaking, I'm not really looking for the computer of the decade, just want to be able to run the newest games easily - so if this is overkill, feel free to cut it down :)