What happens when you reset Windows 10

cblinkie

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016
I got a critical stop (I believe this is a bluescreen) and my computer restarted. This is after a new installation of Windows 10. What might have led up to this, was I plugged in a MyPassport external driver and got an error, that the device could not be recognized (not in those words). When looking at the device with diskpart, List Disk revealed that indeed the size of the drive was listed as 0. In the past, after plugging in that drive for the first time, the proper drivers got installed. This time there was a driver installation error. The Dell computer I used has a Xeon processor and even though you can change things in the bios, the motherboard does not allow for the bios to be reset. This leads to automatic detection of drives sometimes so even though you disable a boot option, the computer still tries to boot devices that are plugged in, as if it was in UEFI mode. Even in Legacy. As far as I can tell this is my evaluation of the error which leads to my next question. If I choose to reset Windows 10 and not keep files. Does it do a full reinstall meaning it clears the Event Viewer log and starts fresh? and my second question is - is it even worth it, if the bios allows other softwares to reconfigure it and can't be reset? Dell Precision T1700 with 32GB ECC ram and 8 core Xeon processor.

Colif

Win 11 Master
have you tried updating bios? http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=TM4XH this mentions fixes to multiple boot entries, it might fix that boot behavior

when Win 10 first installs it loads an image of itself on and then expands it. That same image is used when you do a reset so if you choose full it removes everything and then reinstall a fresh copy of win 10 from that image

Solution