Any problems with using a Nas drive as stand alone - not in a Nas/RAID/Server configuration?

Ignacio49

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
I bought two 2.5" WD Red 1TB NAS Hard Disk Drives to use them in external usb boxes for back up of my disc images, photos, music, etc.

I thought their 24x7 reliability was an extra benefit for long lasting/long term storage. Now I am realizing that NAS disks are designed to be used in hardware RAID environment that requires a different error control, not OS dependent.

What are the cons/potential problems of using them in external usb boxes or as main (operating system) laptop disks?

Thanks
Ignacio

Hey there, Ignacio!

Indeed, you shouldn't encounter any difficulties with the WD Red 2.5" drives if you use them as backup drives in external enclosures or as a main/OS primary drives in laptops. You can configure a raid environment in a laptop that allows you to do so or you can simply use them as stand-alone backup drives in external cases. Keep in mind that the 2.5" form factor is 5,400 RPM with 16 MB cache, which might be a bit slow for an OS stand-alone drive. This shouldn't make such a noticeable difference if your laptop is not tuned for performance, though.

Hope this was helpful. Let me know if you have more questions! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Ignacio49

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
Hi SuperSoph_WD, and ThatVietGuy - thanks for your answers.

There is something that worries me. I've read that Nas disks don't spend as much time trying to recover failing sectors, and therefore there is the risk of loosing some data that could otherwise be saved. Could you please comment on this?

Hey there again, Ignacio!

Desktop drives are designed for optimum performance and reliability in a desktop PC. However, they have a higher level of risk for potential data loss and failure in an always-on RAID configured NAS systems. Here are some of the differences between a traditional desktop HDD and a NAS/RAID-specific HDD:

• - First of all, desktop hard drives are not always tested for compatibility in NAS and can present problems during integration. That's why it's only recommended to use them in RAID 0 or RAID 1 configurations with no more than 2 drives in the array.
    - Most HDDs are not designed for the high operating temperatures or for 24x7 operating environments making them less reliable when used in a system that requires bigger workload.
    - As for the error recovery controls you mentioned, traditional HDDs are not suited for RAID environments. They have controls that prevent the RAID controller from assisting in the event of an error which can cause the hard drive to drop off the RAID after a period of time. Rebuilding a RAID often requires several hours and can have a significant impact on downtime, data integrity and productivity.
    - Typically, regular HDDs are designed for single drive applications, average desktop drives are not optimized for multi-drive systems which have higher noise and vibration levels. When these drives are added to a NAS or a more demanding workstation, the additional vibration can reduce the reliability and life span of the drive.
For example, most of the NAS drives out there incorporate a different kind of firmware altogether. The WD Red drives, in your case, include an exclusive WD NASware technology that addresses many of the challenges I listed above. This innovative firmware finely balances the most important attributes of performance, power, and reliability in multiple drive environments. The unique algorithms in NASware 3.0 optimize power and performance without compromising on the attributes that a demanding system values.

Hope I was able to answer your questions!
Keep me posted if you have more coming my way! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Ignacio49

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
Hi again SuperSoph_WD, and thanks for your kind and thorough answer.

I undesrtood that Nas drivers are better than "standard/regular" drivers for use in RAID configurations.

One more: does your last paragraph ( "For example, most of the NAS drives out there....." ) refer to the use of Nas drivers in Nas/Raid configurations? Or, are you saying that their (WD red's) exclusive technology allows them to be used as stand alone (main or second) disks with excellent results?

By the way, you mention desktop drivers. I guess your comments also refer to laptop drivers (my case), right?

I apologize if I am being a pain right there... I just want to make sure I'm fully understanding your comments.

Ignacio