Critical Process Died on windows 10 setup

Amz-1606

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
Hi all

I recently installed a new ssd into my laptop and installed a fresh installation of windows 10 onto it. When it started up after the install and reached the screen where you setup a user and password the computer froze and I got the message "Critical Process Died". It then did its thing collecting info and restarted and I managed to get into windows. I thought it may have fixed it but then when I started to load up files and software I kept getting the error screen again.

Now I have done another fresh install on windows on the drive and the same thing happened, Right at the user setup screen the error message appeared again.

I have checked the ssd with sfc scannow but it didn't find any errors.

Could someone help me out as I need the laptop for work on Monday!

Thanks in advance

Solution
Yes they should be compatible since dell offers it as an upgrade for your laptop. Don't know though if they pulled some kind of proprietary crap. Another thing to consider, is that the nvme drives are a little bit finicky and maybe the setup halts because of that. One way to go around it is instead of setting up windows to clone them. But for that I am not exactly sure how to proceed with it.

CBender

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
Is there any chance that the medium you use to install W10 is kind of broken? Is it a thumb drive? Another possibility is for the ISO to be broken. I suggest re downloading the iso and and installing fresh. If that doesn't solve the problem i think you might have got a faulty ssd. The health software doesn't do much.

Amz-1606

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
I don't think its broken as ive used two different USB drives to try to see if it was the stick and each time I have downloaded the media creation tool to make the usb media.

Is there a way to test the ssd? or any other troubleshooting I can try?

Amz-1606

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014

Yes it should be as I've seen other people use the same setup

Laptop is a Dell Precision M5510 and the ssd is a Samsung M.2 pro 512gb
How can I check if they are compatible for sure?

Thanks

CBender

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
Yes they should be compatible since dell offers it as an upgrade for your laptop. Don't know though if they pulled some kind of proprietary crap. Another thing to consider, is that the nvme drives are a little bit finicky and maybe the setup halts because of that. One way to go around it is instead of setting up windows to clone them. But for that I am not exactly sure how to proceed with it.

Solution