Extremely low budget Office PC - cpu-ram-ssd?

Dim80

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016
Hey all,

I'm tasked by my boss to look for a pc in order to replace an old one.
I'm looking for the best possible (that will do the job 100%-not gonna buy something that's meh..) while spending the absolute least I can.
(the less I spend -> better chances to replace another one down the road)
Before suggesting it, pre-build ones over here are complete rip-offs.

I've done this again about ~1,5 years ago, when I went with a Intel pentium G3240/4gb ram/500gb WD/Win7. Co-worker hasn't complained about it except some rare occasions when outlook freaks out.

I could just replicate that and be done, but I'm just wondering if there's anything better/smarter I can do? The typical work done on it requires having multiple browsers open (chrome-IE-firefox) with 3-5 tabs each -some with java-, lots of emails with attachments, lots of pdf handling/creating from images, the occasional word-excel, and 2-3 specialty programs running as well (nothing heavy like photoshop/multimedia etc though)

So here's what I'm wondering... (lowest prices/parts I can find where I am)
Get once again a pentium (g3260 s1150 58,5€ or g4400 s1151 63,5€) with 4gigs of ram
or would even a celeron still be fine (g1840 s1150 36€ or g3900 s1151 47€), and get 8gigs of ram with what I'll save? (are celerons as bad as they used to be in the old days?)

Also, what about AMD cpus? Someone told me that for multitasking intel is worse? (at least in the price range i'm looking for I suppose). I haven't keep up with pc building/following pc technology for years. Would an AMD be better for that budget/job? I gather the FM2+ socket is the latest one; The cheapest I can find is the A6-7400K - 60€, then a ATHLON X4 840 3.10GHZ - 68€ (already more than the pentiums). Are they better for this job?
(let's not turn this into a intel vs amd thing though, we're talking about dirt cheap components after all)

And lastly, should I consider getting a ssd or they're trash at the lowest price point? (I mainly don't want it to fail on me - on a work pc that I build.. if they're not as fast as a samsung but still enough faster than a mechanical one that's fine)
For example, for 120gb
41,9€ - SSD KINGSTON SUV400S37/120G SSDNOW UV400 120GB 2.5'' SATA3 STAND-ALONE DRIVE
43,9€ - SSD SANDISK SDSSDA-120G-G25 SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5'' SATA3
46,9 - SSD MUSHKIN MKNSSDTR120GB TRIACTOR 120GB SATA3

or in the case of a celeron maaaybe I could squeeze in a
62,9€ - SSD KINGSTON SUV400S37/240G SSDNOW UV400 240GB 2.5'' SATA3 STAND-ALONE DRIVE

Appreciate any help

Ryan_78

Honorable
1. honestly grab the Pentium G4400. the Celerons are actually better now, but the difference isn't worth it to save a little. the 4400 has good improvements on integrated GPU too. get the 4400. its slightly faster.
2. as of AMD, the A6 is way out of their range, the 860k is a similar approach. they perform the same way as the Pentiums do
3. those SSDs aren't the best, honestly you want to grab the A-Data Premier SP550 120GB/240GB SSD. the 240GB version is quite cheap. go for it.
4. All you need is the Cheapest H110 mobo you can find. you don't need to go so far. look for the absolute cheapest skylake mobo and it will work. don't forget a good PSU. a CX430 or VP-450 would work here (office)
5. squeeze in 8GB RAM. the tabs and stuff needs that.

Dim80

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016
Yeah, I don't see the Amd ones at that price point offering something more (maybe in games, but this isn't a gaming pc).

Good to know about the A-Data SSD. Price is comparable and I see other people leave positive feedback as well. I just never bought that brand in the past and have no experience myself.

Thanks very much!